Re: Phil Johnson on the Second Law of Thermodynamics

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 12:34:39 EST

    DNAunion: Another 2-parter in response to a post by David Bowman. This is
    part 1 of 2.

    >>>David Bowman: Regarding DNAunion's comments about his "Teeter-totter
    Analogy":

    It seems that you use the terms "overcome", "downhill", & "uphill" in a way
    that has led to some unnecessary confusion. Apparently, you want to use the
    terms to refer to particular *parts* of composite processes and *parts* of
    composite interacting systems where you imagine excising the said parts from
    of the interacting system at hand and imagine such parts as a separate
    independent system which is no longer in interaction with the rest of the
    interacting process.

    ***************************
    DNAunion: Yes. I feel it is legitimate to look at individual components of
    an aggregate system and determine their individual tendencies, isolated from
    the others.

    In a two-part system, if (1) the primary tendency is in one direction (the
    bag of sugar tends to take up a position as physically close to the center of
    the Earth's mass as possible because of gravity) and (2) a second tendency is
    in the opposite direction, and (3) the second tendency "overpowers" (arg!
    another word choice I will probably have to defend) the primary one, then I
    feel it is legitimate to state that the primary tendency has been overcome.
    And of course the total (overall, combined, net) tendency has not violated,
    refuted, defied, broken, or done away with gravity.
    ***************************

    >>>David Bowman: And then you imagine the behavior of said parts to continue
    to be the same as it was when the part with its partial contribution to the
    composite process was acting in full interaction with the rest of the

    ********************
    DNAunion: No, not their *behaviors*, but their *tendencies*. Behavior
    implies what objects actually do (which can and does change for objects in my
    analogy), while tendency implies what objects tend to do (which remains the
    same for an object in my analogy). In my see-saw analogy, the tendency of
    one of the object's influenced the behavior of the other, but it did not
    influence the actual tendency of the other.
    ********************

    >>>David Bowman: If this continued behavior when the part and partial
    process is isolated becomes non-spontaneous and thermodynamically unfavorable
    under the new disconnected conditions, you dub it as "uphill" and say that
    the full process of the integrated system is "overcoming" the 2nd law as this
    subsystem's partial process is driven "uphill". Unfortunately, the
    spontaneous behavior of such an excised and isolated piece of the interacting
    system has little, if anything, to do with its behavior as part of the
    integrated system.

    *********************
    DNAunion: Note that changing the word *behavior* to *tendency* changes the
    preceding statement dramatically.

    "Unfortunately, the spontaneous *tendency* of such an excised and isolated
    piece of the interacting system has little, if anything, to do with its
    *tendency* as part of the integrated system."

    I believe this word substitution turns David's original true statement into a
    false one. And as I explained above, in my analogy, I was not insisting that
    the individual component's *behaviors* remained constant when isolated, but
    that their *tendencies* did. I believe David has bowled a strike, just not
    on the same lane I am playing on.
    *********************

    >>>David Bowman: *Of course* changing the system will change the observed
    behavior. But I would not want to call the operation of the integrated
    interacting system as "overcoming" the 2nd law, nor especially, would I want
    to label the operation of the full process as "uphill".

    ***********************
    DNAunion: Neither did I label the overall process uphill. Only individual
    processes (such as raising the bag of sugar) were uphill. In fact, I stated
    that an uphill process itself will not occur - yet I stated that the bag of
    sugar was raised. Obviously, I was stating that the *overall* process was
    downhill, even if I did not explicitly state such.
    ***********************

    >>>David Bowman: The behavior of the isolated subsystem doesn't tell us
    anything about the behavior of the integrated interacting system, and is
    irrelevant to it. Each system with its own particular internal connections
    to its parts and to its surroundings and their conditions has its *own* kind
    of spontaneous "downhill" behavior.

    The way I was using the terms was in reference to the *actual interacting
    system* at hand since it is the behavior of *that* system that is relevant,
    by definition or by tautology (i.e. the behavior of the interacting system is
    what is relevant to the interacting system).

    ************************
    DNAunion: I would add that the tendencies of the individual components of an
    interacting system are also relevant to the whole.
    ************************

    >>>David Bowman: When we focus on the fully integrated system at hand we see
    that any process that happens in nature is thermodynamically favorable and is
    "downhill", and its operation is just another example of the 2nd law working
    normally.

    *********************
    DNAunion: Agreed - I have not stated otherwise. But still, the individual
    coupled reactions in an interacting system can be uphill or downhill, and
    each one's tendency influences the overall tendency of the aggregate system.
    It is impossible for the individual uphill reactions/processes to occur,
    unless they are coupled in some manner to downhill reactions/processes or
    equal or greater magnitude. But then it is not the original process under
    consideration - our focus has expanded to include accessory
    structures/processes.
    *********************

    >>>David Bowman: It *doesn't matter* if the interacting system is a
    complicated biological system or a cup of tea cooling off in a cooler room
    (as far as any potential appeal to the 2nd law is concerned). If you take
    the hot tea out of the cooler room and isolate it in a sealed
    super-insulated dewar it behaves differently than when it is in strong
    thermal contact with the air of the cold room. When it is in contact with
    the cold air of the room the tea's entropy and temperature quickly falls as
    it cools down to the ambient temperature, and some of this cooling is via
    evaporation of water from the tea/air interface at the tea's top surface.
    This changes the concentration of the tea as well as further decreasing the
    entropy of the remaining tea. When the tea is isolated in the dewar from the
    room's cold air, its entropy, mass, temperature, internal energy,
    concentration, etc. remain fixed. I would say that the cooling tea in the
    cooler room is an example of a thermodynamically "downhill" process even
    though the tea's entropy decreases. I would not say that the tea's "tendency
    to disorder" is "overcome" by the process. The tea doesn't even *have* any
    specifically
    defined tendency at all until the rest of the system with which it interacts
    is properly specified. Its tendency is not the same in a dewar as in a cold
    room, and neither of these is its tendency when it is in a room that is much
    hotter than the tea, with air that is supersaturated with humidity. In the
    latter case the tea's entropy and temperature and water concentration
    *increases*.

    ********************
    DNAunion: When I mentioned a hot cup of tea cooling I thought to myself, "I
    bet David could write a whole chapter on the physics of this", and it looks
    like I was right (I am sure David could have gone on further). I don't mean
    this in any way as an insult: it is a compliment. To be able to look at a
    hot cup of tea and find so much that the ordinary person couldn't hope to
    grasp - to understand to some extent how the universe operates by examining a
    simple cup of hot tea - this to me is truly amazing.

    Now, as far as where you and I differ…

    [quote]"I would say that the cooling tea in the cooler room is an example of
    a thermodynamically "downhill" process even though the tea's entropy
    decreases."[/quote]

    Yes, it is downhill; and yes, the tea's entropy does decrease.; but… The
    entropy of the surroundings increases, thereby compensating for any decrease
    in entropy of the tea itself. For a hot cup of tea which is cooling (my
    original example), that tendency is for the tea to dissipate heat into the
    surroundings thereby increasing the molecular randomness of said surroundings.

    [quote]" I would not say that the tea's "tendency to disorder" is "overcome"
    by the process.[/quote]

    Okay, but your system is not composed of two interacting components - *at
    least not in the sense that my teeter-totter analogy was*. You have only one
    object of interest (the tea) and only one tendency in one direction (for the
    tea to dissipate its heat into its cooler surroundings in accord with the
    second law). Under these circumstances, I would claim there was any
    overcoming either.

    [quote]The tea doesn't even *have* any specifically defined tendency at all
    until the rest of the system with which it interacts is properly
    specified.[/quote]

    As you stated it here ("the tea"), you are correct: there is no
    specifically-defined tendency. As I stated it originally ("hot cup of tea
    cooling off"), then there is a specifically-defined tendency.

    [quote]Its tendency is not the same in a dewar as in a cold room, and neither
    of these is its tendency when it is in a room that is much hotter than the
    tea, with air that is supersaturated with humidity. In the latter case the
    tea's entropy and temperature and water concentration *increases*.[/quote]

    Again, my original statement was about *hot* tea. This adjective itself
    implies that the tea is hotter than its surroundings. This was made more
    explicit when I added *cooling off*.

    Again, I feel that David has bowled another strike, but not on the same lane
    I am using.