Re: Phil Johnson on the Second Law of Thermodynamics

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 22:47:23 EST

    >>>DNAunion: Simply put, order cannot arise from disorder *without being
    coupled to an increase in disorder elsewhere*. See my above paragraph for a
    more-detailed statement.

    PS: You omitted a very key phrase of mine in your reformulation of my
    statements. Here is my original, with emphasis added to point out that key
    phrase:

     "We are saying that for a functioning cell to arise from pools of simple
    organics WITHOUT ANY COUPLING MECHANISMS would be, *****AS FAR AS WE CAN
    TELL*****, a violation of the second law".

    >>>Paul Robson: Well, this is just absurd.

    ******************
    DNAunion: It is obvious from this and other statements in Paul's response to
    me that Paul is getting more and more personal, less and less objective, and
    more and more difficult to communicate with. Based on his current trend, I
    expect future exchanges to degenerate.
    ******************

    >>>Paul Robson: How can you say "would be, as far as we can tell". Does this
    mean yes, no or don't know, or haven't a clue ?

    ******************
    DNAunion: If you really what to understand what I mean, what don't you
    simply reread the portion I pointed you to: see up there in the first snippet
    of mine you posted: "See my above paragraph for a more-detailed statement".
    ******************

    *****************
    DNAunion: It is obvious from this and other statements in Paul's response to
    me that Paul is getting more and more personal, less and less objective, and
    more and more difficult to communicate with. Based on his current trend, I
    expect future exchanges to degenerate.
    *****************

    >>>Paul Robson: You write that ""We (presumably DNA & SEJ ?) are not claiming
    that lack of a coupling mechanism itself violates the second law"

     I personally believe you are playing games with the word "coupling". It is
    used to mean both "linking together changes in entropy so the 2LT is not
    violated", which is a poor usage, as coupling implies the changes are
    directly linked together,

    ***************
    DNAunion: Paul is again trying his best to stir things up, in a negative
    way, by claiming ambiguity or equivocation on my part (he is nitpicking my
    word choices, or at least trying to).

    Ironically, his claim itself contains ambiguity, so I can't address it fully.
     When he says "coupling implies the changes are directly linked together", is
    he stating that there is a direct, *physical* connection established between
    the two, or merely a direct *mental/conceptual* connection established
    between the two? Since he seems to be objecting to my statements, I will
    assume he means the former (if he had been more careful in *his* wording, I
    would not need to assume anything!).

    Anyway, I was able to quickly find 3 statements that support my usage.

    [quote]"ATP: The Universal Energy Coupler
    The anabolic reactions of cells are responsible for the growth and repair
    processes characteristic of all living systems, while catabolic reactions
    release the energy needed to drive the anabolic reactions and to carry out
    other kinds of cellular work. The efficient linking, or coupling, of
    energy-yielding processes to energy-requiring processes is therefore crucial
    to cell function. This coupling is made possible by specific kinds of
    molecules that conserve the energy derived from exergonic reactions, which is
    then available whenever and wherever that energy is needed. In the
    biological world, the molecules that is used most commonly as an energy
    intermediate is the phosphorylated compound adenosine triphosphate (ATP)."
    (The World of the Cell: Third Edition, Wayne M. Becker, Jane B. Reece, &
    Martin F. Poenie, Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Co., 1996, p297)[/quote]

    These authors make it clear that the *coupled* reactions CAN BE SEPARATED BY
    BOTH SPACE AND TIME.

    [quote]"In all living cells, certain key "electron falls" are coupled to the
    assembly of ATP from ADP and [inorganic phosphate], the way certain
    waterfalls are harnessed to the running of a mill or to the generation of
    electricity." (Vital Dust: Life as a Cosmic Imperative, Christian de Duve,
    Basic Books, 1995, p42)[/quote]

    de Duve knows that the electron falls are not DIRECTLY coupled to the
    assembly of ATP from ADP and inorganic phosphate. The electron fall helps
    establish a proton gradient across the membranes, and the resulting motion of
    protons through the ATPase turns a slotted "merry go round" (if you will) in
    the ATPase which is where the ATP is physically assembled. The "electron
    falls" are SEPARATED BY BOTH SPACE AND TIME from the process with which they
    are coupled.

    [quote]"These radiocarbon studies coupled with the amino acid results
    presented here indicate that major and minor organic constituents in these
    Martian meteorites are contaminants." (A Search for Endogenous Amino Acids
    in Martian Meteorite ALH84001, Jeffrey L. Bada, * Daniel P. Gavin, Gene D.
    McDonald, Luann Becker, Science, 279 (5349): 362)[/quote]

    Does Paul think that Bada et. al. took those two sets of results and
    physically linked them together? No. These coupled items also were
    SEPARATED BY BOTH SPACE AND TIME.

    Anyway, it is clear that my usage of the word "coupled" was valid. Of course
    the word has more than one meaning (few words don't). Paul should try to
    take more than one of them into consideration in an attempt to demonstrate
    equivocation (what he called playing word games"). I did not.
    ***********************

    >>>Paul Robson: and in the sense of it being a mechanism to achieve such (in
    which case the entropy
     change is directly connected).

    **********************
    DNAunion: I have - to the best of my knowledge (oops, perhaps I should not
    say this as Paul will object that it is "absurd", and ask if I mean I did, I
    think I did, I didn't, I could have, ....) - now I've lost my train of
    thought; let me start over.

    I have - to the best of my knowledge - explicitly used both words (i.e.,
    coupling mechanism) when referring to some kind of a physical object (a
    ribosome, or ATPase, for example). When I used only the word "couple", its
    usage is broader, indicating that things are joined in some manner, either
    physically or conceptually. My use of the single word "couple", as
    demonstrated above, is valid; and my explicit addition of the term
    "mechanism" when referring to physical structures makes this usage clear also.
    **********************

    >>>Paul Robson: I would be inclined to give you the benefit of more doubt if
    I hadn't seen your other claim about "solely relying on OST to show cell
    organisation". I suspect this is simply what you think you've read, as I have
    never seen anyone claim this , except as a Creationist straw man argument
    (the evolving junkyard).

    ******************
    DNAunion: Yet I was able to give two examples of people from this very
    discussion forum, in the last couple days, *basically* doing this. Your
    statement that open-system thermodynamics alone "knocked out" the
    Creationists claims, and Chris Cogan's vague appeal to energy mixing stuff up
    somehow and creating a self-replicator. If you guys know that more is
    involved, and you know that BOTH are needed to counter the Creationist claims
    or to explain the origin of self-replicators, then why did you both omit the
    other needed parts and mention only OST? And why have a "hissy fit" and
    start claiming I am asserting a "Creationist straw man" when I point out that
    "you guys" omitted those other needed parts and relied only on OST?

    >>>Paul Robson: To discredit this statement, all you have to do is to
    produce someone who "solely relies on OST to show cell organisation". Please
    be aware of what the words "solely relies" mean. They use nothing else.

    DNAunion: Yep, I know what solely means. And that is what you and Chris
    did. You relied solely on open-system thermodynamics to "knock out" the
    Creationists claims, and Chris relied solely on open-system thermodynamics to
    mix things up and somehow generate a self-replicator.