Re: Phil Johnson on the Second Law of Thermodynamics

From: AutismUK@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 04:49:45 EST

    In a message dated 11/11/00 03:56:15 GMT Standard Time, DNAunion@aol.com
    writes:

    Paul Robson:
     Okay. Let's see how simple I can make it.

     Evolutionists claim: Evolution does not violate the 2nd Law of
    Thermodynamics.

      Now, NOTE that they do not claim that energy is sufficient by itself to
     cause evolution ["pouring gas over a car and setting it on fire will not
     drive a car to the grocery store." is implying this]

    DNAunion:
     No. It is stating that those who rely solely on vague appeals to
     open-system thermodynamics to explain the ordering and organizing of simple
     organics into a functioning cell are overlooking a key part of the picture.

    Paul Robson:
     I don't think you get it.

     "Creationists" (in general, NOT YOU specifically) repeatedly claim (see
    almost ANY
     creationist site,book or lecture) that Evolution violates the 2nd law of
    Thermodynamics.

     "Evolutionists" answer "no it doesn't because this is not a closed system"
    (the
     corollary to which Creationists are referring, usually inaccurately).

     BUT they do not appeal to OST as a method of explaining the ordering and
     organizing of simple organics into a functioning cell.

     It is a RESPONSE to the claim that 2LT is violated by evolution.

     Now. I agree that, by itself OST do not explain this ordering and
    organising. But no
     "evolutionist" to my knowledge has ever said it did.

     This argument is used by Creationists (again generally, not you
    specifically) as a
     distractor against the open/closed system argument, because pointing out the
     nature of open/closed systems knocks their initial claim out. Thus we have
     two responses : (i) Open and Closed are the same "because the law has been
     tested on open systems" (Morris) (ii) Evolving junkyard argument which is
     what you are talking about here e.g. OST explains the "whole thing".

     Who are the "those" in your sentence .....

     "those who rely SOLELY on vague appeals to open-system thermodynamics to
      explain the ordering and organizing of simple organics into a functioning
    cell"
     (my emphasis)

     if you can't actually produce anyone who says this isn't your argument
     an irrelevant distraction ?