Re: Phil Johnson on the Second Law of Thermodynamics

From: AutismUK@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 05:59:26 EST

    In a message dated 09/11/00 02:11:53 GMT Standard Time, DNAunion@aol.com
    writes:

    DNAunion: Did you even read what you are criticizing? SEJones presented a
     quote that explicitly stated that things like coupling mechanisms are not
     actually part of the 2nd law.

    Paul Robson:
     True, but a lot of Creationists don't agree with you and him !

    DNAUnion:
     Coupling mechanisms are not part of the second law, but they are used by
    life
     to "overcome" the second law. The burning of gas can provide a lot of
     energy: but pouring gas over a car and setting it on fire will not drive a
     car to the grocery store.

    Paul Robson:
     Okay. Let's see how simple I can make it.

     Evolutionists claim :-

           Evolution does not violate the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.

     Now, NOTE that they do not claim that energy is sufficient by itself
     to cause evolution ["pouring gas over a car and setting it on fire will
     not drive a car to the grocery store." is implying this]

     In that case, I agree , a conversion mechanism of some sort is
     required.

     However, this is NOT a requirement of thermodynamics. Nor is the
     absence of such a mechanism a violation of the 2nd Law.

     It is not a requirement to "overcome the 2nd Law" as the 2nd Law
     does not need to be overcome because it is not violated.