Re: Examples of natural selection generating CSI

From: Ivar Ylvisaker (ylvisaki@erols.com)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 01:32:24 EST

    Our goals are similar but not identical.

    I am indifferent about the precise definition of design. There is
    probably more than one reasonable definition. If a definition
    excludes naturalistic evolution, that's OK. If it allows evolution,
    that's OK also. The only requirement that I can see is that the
    definition be clear. But a definition is only a definition; it is
    not a statement about what's real.

    My interest is in an "intelligent designer" that is meaningful to
    proponents of "intelligent design." I think that the minimum level
    of designer that they will accept is a human being. An intelligent
    ape that can create a tool of a twig is not intelligent enough; they
    want detect beings, e.g., gods, that are plainly superior to apes.

    The ID proponents suggest that the methods used to search for
    extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI) can also be used to search for
    other intelligent beings such as the Christian God. This raises the
    question of how we would recognize the signs of an ET if we visited
    another planet. Or, equivalently, how would an ET expedition to
    earth recognize that man was intelligent?

    If men and ETs met, this would be relatively easy to resolve. It
    might take a few years, it might take a few wars, but men and ETs
    would learn to talk to one another.

    The more interesting question is how intelligent beings can be
    recognized from their relics. How does one infer the existence of man
    from a watch lost on the moors? Or how does one infer the existence
    of ETs from signals received from other stars?

    The approach of the SETI Institute is not too helpful
    (http://www.seti-inst.edu/). They are only looking for "narrow-band
    signals." Narrow-band signals are uncommon in nature; they are, on
    the other hand, characteristic of some of man's inventions such as the
    carrier portion of a broadcast signal. If they found a narrow-band
    signal, they would look for some kind of modulation of the signal.
    But, details get vague at this point.

    Suppose a plague killed off all the human beings on this planet.
    And suppose that ten thousand years from now, an ET expedition came
    to the earth. How would they recognize that the earth had been
    populated by intelligent beings?

    I can suggest only two clues:

    1) They would look for differences in materials found at sites that
    they suspected were populated by men and sites that seemed "natural."
    For example, William Paley's watch was made of steel. The moors
    would only have traces of iron ore.

    2) They would look for objects that are similar to objects that the
    ETs invented and manufacture for themselves. Similar products imply
    similar levels of intelligence.

    It is possible to be fooled. If we traveled to another planet, we
    might decide that the planet had been inhabited by beings similar to
    us when, in fact, we were looking at structures constructed by ape-like
    creatures controlled by instinct.

    On the other hand, we might never recognize the relics of creatures
    who were technically much more advanced than ourselves. The people of
    the middle ages would not recognize that seeds had been genetically
    modified if they somehow found samples of them.

    Ivar