Re: Phil Johnson on the Second Law of Thermodynamics

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 07:19:07 EST

    From: Stephen E. Jones <sejones@iinet.net.au>

    [snip most of Stephen's nonsense]

    >Richard says of himself below that: "I admit that I don't understand the
    >Second Law either"!

    Exactly. I have the sense to realize that the Second Law is a complex
    technical issue that I don't fully understand.

    Stephen, on the other hand, has the arrogance to believe that he understands
    it better than the experts!

    There has been a discussion recently in talk.origins about whether the
    entropy of the sun is increasing or decreasing. It has been claimed that
    it's decreasing, because nuclear fusion results in a decrease in the number
    of particles. I don't pretend to know whether this is correct, but no doubt
    Stephen, with his thorough knowledge of the Second Law, will be able to
    enlighten us. (Not!)

    I may not fully understand the Second Law, but I understand enough to see
    that Stephen doesn't have a clue about it. Stephen and his friends keep
    referring to stuff like "code-driven energy-conversion systems" in the
    context of the Second Law. Just reading the Second Law, in any of the forms
    that physicists give it, one can see that it says _nothing_ at_all_ about
    codes or conversion systems. The only form of the law that mentions these is
    the version invented by creationists. Stephen's basic error is to confuse
    the Second Law of Thermodynamics with the Creationist Law of Thermodynamics.

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    "Do the calculation. Take the numbers seriously. See if the underlying
    probabilities really are small enough to yield design."
      -- W. A. Dembski, who has never presented any calculation to back up his
    claim to have detected Intelligent Design in life.