Re: Report by Jonathan Wells of tour of Arkansas, K...

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 18:43:26 EST

    Group

    Huxter has cross-posted this to both eGroups and the Calvin Reflector. My
    reply will be primarily to eGroups cc. the Reflector. Again I apologise for it
    being late. I am trying to wind down my debates on the Calvin Reflector,
    so I will probably only respond to replies in eGroups.

    On Sun, 29 Oct 2000 13:01:48 EST, huxter4441@aol.com wrote:

    >SJ>Below is a report by Jonathan Wells tour of Arkansas, Kansas, Washington
    >promoting his new book, Icons of Evolution, with one minor change.

    [...]

    HX>I wonder if this was mentioned by Wells or his admirers:
    >
    >Father's words, my studies, and my prayers convinced me that I should
    >devote my life to destroying Darwinism, just as many of my fellow
    >Unificationists had already devoted their lives to destroying Marxism. When
    >Father chose me (along with about a dozen other seminary graduates) to enter
    >a Ph.D. program in 1978, I welcomed the opportunity to prepare myself for
    >battle. J.Wells

    This has in fact been "mentioned" before on the Calvin Reflector. Wells is
    in fact an adherent of the Unification Church (aka. the Moonies).

    The paragraph that Huxter quoted is in fact an interesting paper by Wells
    on the Web (which Huxter presumably did not want others to read for
    themselves?):

    http://www.tparents.org/Library/Unification/Talks/Wells/DARWIN.htm

    Unification Sermons and Talks

    by Reverends Wells

    Darwinism: Why I Went for a Second Ph.D.

    by Jonathan Wells, Ph.D.-Berkeley, CA

    [...]

    As a graduate student at Yale, I studied the whole of Christian theology
    but focused my attention on the Darwinian controversies. I wanted to get
    to the root of the conflict between Darwinian evolution and Christian
    doctrine. In the course of my research I learned (to my surprise) that
    biblical chronology played almost no role in the 19th- century
    controversies, since most theologians had already accepted geological
    evidence for the age of the earth and re-interpreted the days in Genesis as
    long periods of time. Instead, the central issue was design. God created the
    cosmos with a plan in mind. This affirmation is among the most basic in
    all of Christianity (and other theistic religions as well, including
    Unificationism). And that plan included human beings as the final
    outcome of the creative process: we are created in the image of God.

    According to Darwin's theory, however, the whole history of life is the
    outcome of random variations and survival of the fittest. Although some
    features of living organisms (such as eyes) appear to be designed, Darwin
    claimed that this is only an illusion. Living things are the result of an
    essentially directionless process, and we are merely the accidental by-
    product of blind natural forces which did not have us in mind. When I
    finished my Yale Ph.D., I felt confident that I understood the theological
    basis of the conflict between Darwinism and theism.

    But Darwinism was clearly winning the ideological battle in the
    universities, the public schools, and the mass media, largely because it
    claimed to be supported by scientific evidence. I knew enough about
    biology to know that this claim was quite shaky, but few scientists were
    willing to challenge it. Those who did were often lumped together with
    young-earth biblical fundamentalists and thereby discredited in the eyes of
    most scholars.

    I eventually decided to join the fray by returning to graduate school in
    biology. I was convinced that embryology is the Achilles' heel of
    Darwinism; one cannot understand how organisms evolve unless one
    understands how they develop. In 1989, I entered a second Ph.D. program,
    this time in biology, at the University of California at Berkeley. While
    there, I studied embryology and evolution.

    According to the standard view, the development of an embryo is
    programmed by its genes-its DNA. Change the genes, and you can change
    the embryo, even to the point of making a new species. In the movie
    "Jurassic Park," genetic engineers extract fragments of dinosaur DNA
    from fossilized mosquitoes, splice them together with DNA from living
    frogs, then inject the combination into ostrich eggs which had had their
    own DNA inactivated. In the movie, the injected DNA then re-
    programmed the ostrich to produce a dinosaur. Experiments similar to this
    have actually been performed, though not with dinosaur DNA.

    In every case, if any development occurred at all it followed the pattern of
    the egg, not the injected foreign DNA. While I was at Berkeley I
    performed experiments on frog embryos. My experiments focused on a
    reorganization of the egg cytoplasm after fertilization which causes the
    embryo to elongate into a tadpole; if I blocked the reorganization, the
    result was a ball of belly cells; if I induced a second reorganization after
    the first, I could produce a two-headed tadpole. Yet this reorganization
    had nothing to do with the egg's DNA, and proceeded quite well even in
    its absence (though the embryo eventually needed its DNA to supply it
    with additional proteins).

    So DNA does not program the development of the embryo. As an analogy,
    consider a house: the builder needs materials (such as pieces of lumber cut
    to the right lengths, cement, nails, piping, wiring, etc.), but he also needs a
    floor plan (since any given pile of materials could be assembled into
    several different houses) and he needs a set of assembly instructions (since
    assembling the roof before the foundation and walls would pose a serious
    problem). In a developing organism, the DNA contains templates for
    producing proteins-the building materials.

    To a very limited extent, it also contains information about the order in
    which those proteins should be produced-assembly instructions. But it
    does not contain the basic floor plan. The floor plan and many of the
    assembly instructions reside elsewhere (nobody yet knows where). Since
    development of the embryo is not programmed by the DNA, the
    Darwinian view of evolution as the differential survival of DNA mutations
    misses the point. At most, Darwin's theory may explain "microevolution"
    within established lineages-such as minor differences among closely
    related species of salamanders. But it cannot account for
    "macroevolution," - the large-scale differences between shellfish and
    insects, or between birds and mammals. Darwin's theory is incompatible
    not only with the evidence from embryology, but also with the evidence
    from the fossil record. According to Darwinism, all creatures are
    descended from a common ancestor. Yet the oldest fossils show that
    almost all of the major groups of organisms appeared at around the same
    time, fully formed and recognizably similar to their modern counterparts.
    Darwin's theory predicts a "branching tree" pattern in the fossil record, yet
    that pattern is nowhere to be found. The fossils provide no evidence that
    all creatures are descended from a common ancestor. So the two major
    claims of Darwinism-that all living things are descended from a common
    ancestor and that their differences are due to random variations and
    survival of the fittest- are unsupported by evidence.

    HX>I sort of doubt it - this sort of religious claptrap would act to knock down
    >his 'scientific' reasoning, it seems.....

    Huxter is one of those from the Calvin Reflector I was referring to, whose
    modus operandi is mostly ridicule and abuse. This is a pity because Huxter
    is in fact one of the few practising biological scientists on the reflector (he
    has a Ph.D in Anatomy and Cell Biology, minoring in Physical
    Anthropology.

    One would therefore think that Huxter's posts would be full of facts about
    evolution but strangely (?) that is not the case. A prime example is Huxter's
    posts about Jonathan Wells, rather than refute Well's evidence against
    evolution, Huxter prefers to attack Wells personally. Huxter has attacked
    Wells' for a number of peripheral things, including: 1) Wells' number of
    publications in scientific journals (he has in fact had three); 2) Wells' use of
    Berkeley University in his signature to imply he is still there (Wells signs his
    name as at the Discovery Institute but some journalists still refer to him as
    at Berkeley); and now 3) Wells' being a member of the Moonies.

    His argument (if one can call it that) is that because Wells is a Moonie his
    arguments for ID and against evolution should be ignored. That Huxter's
    argument is a simple `shoot the messenger' ad hominem is clear because
    Huxter also rejects the scientific reasoning of those IDers who agree with
    Wells but are not Moonies. IOW if Wells ceased being a Moonie, but still
    believed the same scientific reasoning, then Huxter would still reject it. So
    Wells being a Moonie has nothing to do with Huxter's argument against
    Wells and ID's scientific reasoning-it is a simple ad hominem aimed at
    discrediting Wells and ID by a crude McCathyist `guilt by association'
    tactic.

    Huxter seems still labouring under a misapprehension that ID is a
    *religious* position and therefore one's private unorthodox "religious"
    opinions would automatically discredit it.

    But while most (not all) IDers are religious, ID itself is not a religious
    position. Evidence of this is: 1) the wide range of religious positions held
    by IDers, including Christian (Protestant [Johnson, Nelson], Catholic
    [Behe] and Eastern Orthodox [Dembski, Reynolds]); Jewish [Spetner,
    Berlinski]; Unification [Wells]; and 2) non-religious positions held by some
    IDers, including agnostic [Denton, Todd Moody].

    In the case of Wells, Phil Johnson has been aware from the beginning that
    Wells was a Moonie, because Wells told him upfront that he was.

    Johnson could have reacted like a hypocritical `church politician' fearful of
    `what others might think', but to his credit he acted consistently with his
    position that ID is not a religious movement with a test of religious
    orthodoxy, and he welcomed Wells into the ID movement.

    In one of my posts on this I wrote:

    On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 05:59:44 +0800, Stephen E. Jones wrote:

    [...]

    SJ>Why should the ID movement "take note of Well's religion"? It is nothing
    >to do with the ID movement.
    >
    >GM>How would anyone know this supposedly 'well known' fact that Johnson
    >>speaks of? It never appeared in any bio that I am aware of. It always
    >>seemed to be omitted! Frankly, I don't think the ID movement has been
    >>forthcoming and open with the Christian community in this regard.
    >
    SJ>I was not aware that Jonathan was a Moonie, but then why should I? I am
    >not aware of what religion the other ID leaders are, except Johnson, a
    >Presbyterian and Behe a Catholic. It is simply not relevant to the ID
    >movement what religion one has, or even if one has a religion.
    >
    >Indeed it reflects great credit on Johnson that he is not a man-fearing
    >hypocrite in this. Johnson knew from the very beginning that Wells was a
    >Moonie because Wells was honest and up-front and told him. Johnson
    >could have been like many a church-politician and calculated the PR
    >problems it could cause him and given Wells the brush-off. But Johnson is
    >refreshingly consistent. He says that what religion one is doesn't matter to
    >the ID movement and now he has proved it!
    >
    >Personally it just enhances my already deep respect for Johnson. He
    >*really* means what he says, and says what he means.

    Ironically evolutionists have made much in the past of how some
    creationist organisations have required their adherents to sign a statement
    of Christian beliefs, yet here we have Huxter trying to discredit ID because
    it *does not* have such a test of religious orthodoxy!

    As an evangelical Christian I would disagree with the private religious
    positions of many of my fellow IDers. But ID is not itself a religious position,
    so their private religious views are *irrelevant* to my ID position as mine are
    to theirs.

    Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ Email: sejones@iinet.net.au
    3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Web: http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones
    Warwick 6024 -> *_,--\_/ Phone: +61 8 9448 7439
    Perth, Western Australia v "Test everything." (1 Thess. 5:21)