Re: Examples of natural selection generating CSI

From: Ivar Ylvisaker (ylvisaki@erols.com)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 23:56:52 EST

    [Richard Wein wrote:]

    > Yvar, I think what Dembski means here is just that the design hypothesis
    > doesn't compete with other hypotheses in the design inference. Although it
    > may sound like he's saying that there's no design hypothesis at all, he
    > obviously can't mean that. The design hypothesis is what Dembski is trying
    > to establish. The important point is that he establishes it purely by
    > eliminating all non-design hypotheses, not by considering the merits of the
    > design hypothesis.
    >
    > So I think your statement that "Dembski says that he is not proposing
    > `design' as an hypothesis" is misleading, and is just introducing an
    > unnecessary element of confusion.

    I think that Dembski is saying that he is not proposing a scientific
    hypothesis that is to be tested by searching for evidence that would
    confirm or refute it. I agree that Dembski has some sort of hypothesis
    in mind. But it is not a scientific hypothesis. And that is a
    distinction that needs to be emphasized. Dembski is not doing science.

    [snip]

    [Richard Wein wrote:]

    > I don't agree with you. I think that in any inference of design where we
    > don't have positive proof (like having actually seen the object being made),
    > we must use a process of elimination, and, beyond a certain point, we must
    > simply say "We consider it inconceivable that any natural process could have
    > created this object, so it must be designed." Suppose, for example, that
    > SETI receives an extraterrestrial message like the one in the book Contact.
    > We cannot prove that the message was not produced by some unknown natural
    > process, i.e. in accordance with some unknown chance hypothesis.
    > Nevertheless, because we can't conceive of any natural process producing
    > such an effect, we reject all such unknown hypotheses.

    I don't agree with you. "A man made it" is a perfectly respectable
    hypothesis. Men (and women) called mathematicians did discover prime
    numbers (the initial signal in "Contact"). If signals containing
    prime numbers were detected from an extraterrestrial souse, the most
    reasonable hypothesis would be that man or, at least, something
    intelligent, sent them. We do not have to eliminate all natural
    processes to conclude this. In any case, we can't; there is always
    the possibility that some natural process does generate them. Given
    our present knowledge and theories, an "intelligent being sent them"
    would be the current "best explanation" of signals containing prime
    numbers sent from Vega. This conclusion would be reinforced if we add
    the video of Hitler speaking at the 1936 Olympics -- apparently, it
    really was televised -- and the plans for an interstellar vehicle that
    followed in the signals that were received from Vega in the book
    Contact.

    Two other comments. "An intelligent being sent them" is "an inference
    to the best explanation" of the signals received in Contact; it is not
    a confirmation that intelligent beings did so. Someone had to go to
    Vega to confirm this. One can always hypothesize that an intelligent
    being secretly caused some event to occur, e.g., an evil spirit caused
    a cancer. Finding evidence that confirms this is the hard part. (See
    also the Concluding Comments in
    http://philosophy.wisc.edu/sober/dembski.pdf.)

    Second, Dembski specifically disavows that this is what he means by a
    design inference. He writes a little later in the reference cited
    above:

    "Thus, we shall never see a design hypothesis D pitted against a
    chance hypothesis H so that E confirms D better than H just in case
    P(D|E) is greater than P(H|E). This may constitute a "Bayesian
    design inference," but it is not the design inference stemming from
    the Explanatory Filter."

    He seems to waver a bit about this conviction in his "Intelligent
    Design" though the book still contains a description of the filter.
    See "abduction" in the index.

    Ivar