God makes a comeback

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 18:30:31 EDT

    Group

    Here is an article which appeared in our local paper. It seems that even if
    there were multiple universes, they might all turn out to look designed!

    The comment at the end:

            "It's still a long way from claiming there is a personal God who
            cares for each and every one of us, but it's a start"

    is IMHO not a bad summary of the relationship of ID to Christianity.

    14 THE WEST AUSTRALIAN TODAY MONDAY OCTOBER 23 2000

    [...]

    God makes a comeback

    Brave new world Graham Phillips

    IF YOU'RE after a bit of guidance on the meaning of life! you probably
    shouldn't ask a scientist for some inspirational pearls of wisdom.

    Inquire about humanity's place in the greater scheme of things and you're
    likely to be told we're just another species. We may have technology and
    wear clothes, but really we're no more than apes in capes.

    In tact, if you asked eminent American biologist Stephen Jay Gould, it's
    likely you'd be told we're not even one of the better species on the planet.

    Humans and their relatives have been around for only a few million years.
    What sort of success is that? Those dumb dinosaurs dominated for more
    than 100 million years. And bacteria have survived for billions.

    No, humanity is just another tiny twig on the tree of life.

    In fact, Gould insists, if we could somehow wind back time and start the
    process of evolution again, humans would never appear second time round.

    We were just a giant cosmic fluke in the first place. If that asteroid hadn't
    accidentally bumped into Earth and wiped out the dinosaurs, we mammals
    would never have arisen. We owe our existence to a chance encounter with
    a chunk of space junk.

    And physicists are even worse. They say the universe could easily have had
    no intelligent life, or indeed no life at all.

    Given science doesn't see anything particularly special about humanity, it's
    no wonder few scientists believe in God. After all, even a minimalist's God
    usually treats humans as special in some way.

    But have scientists had it wrong all these years? If some new thinking in
    physics turns out to be right, God might be back in the equation after all.
    The fresh approach is a new theory on reality known as string theory.

    The conventional thinking is that the universe's building blocks are tiny
    particles: small balls, if you like. For instance, every object is made of
    atoms- miniature balls. The atoms themselves are made up of protons and
    electrons: even smaller balls.

    But according to string theory, deep down balls are out; it's tiny strings that
    are the ultimate building blocks.

    Of course, these guys are physicists, so they're not talking about strings like
    you and I keep in our bottom drawers. Theirs are nine-dimensional
    vibrating things, but long and skinny, nonetheless.

    While the details of string theory are yet to be worked out, many physicists
    think the theory might lead to a remarkable conclusion: that there is only
    one logically consistent possible universe, and that's the one in which we
    live.

    This would be remarkable because our universe seems to have been set up
    for us. In several ways, it has been fine-tuned to make human existence
    possible.

    For example, the explosive power of the initial Big Bang was incredibly
    well matched to the weight of all the matter in the cosmos. A mismatch of
    just one part in a trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion would have created a
    universe without stars or planets, and, therefore, without intelligent life.

    And there are many other "coincidences" that make the universe fit for
    human habitation.

    In the past, physicists have got around these embarrassing little problems
    by claiming there were parallel universes out there with an infinity of
    different properties.

    Of course, we find ourselves in the one best suited to us; there's no need
    for a God to have specially designed something.

    But string theory looks like putting a hole in this argument. If there is only
    one possible universe, and it is tailor-made for intelligent life, it is much
    harder to keep God out of things.

    It's still a long way from claiming there is a personal God who cares for
    each and every one of us, but it's a start.

    - Graham Phillips is an ABC-TV producer in the science unit. [...]

    "Contemporary religious thinkers often approach the Argument from
    Design with a grim determination that their churches shall not again be
    made to look foolish. Recalling what happened when churchmen opposed
    first Galileo and then Darwin, they insist that religion must be based not on
    science but on faith. Philosophy, they announce, has demonstrated that
    Design Arguments lack all force. I hope to have shown that philosophy has
    demonstrated no such thing. Our universe, which these religious thinkers
    believe to be created by God, does look, greatly though this may dismay
    them, very much as if created by God." (Leslie J., "Universes," [1989],
    Routledge: London, 1996, reprint, p22)
    Stephen E. Jones | Ph. +61 8 9448 7439 | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones