petty bickering academics

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 08:35:13 EDT

    >>Chris
    >>To be fair to Bertvan, I think she's talking about the political
    >>shenanigans at Baylor, not any alleged "science" that may be involved.

    Richard:
    >No, I think Bertvan was trying to cast aspersions on the value of the
    >scientific work of academics generally. All scientific work involves
    >interpretations. If the public accepts Bertvan's assertion that the
    >interpretations of scientists cannot be trusted, then public understanding
    >of science will become a free-for-all, where people pick and choose whatever
    >bits of science or pseudoscience suit their personal prejudices. This what
    >Bertvan does, and she wants others to do the same.

    Bertvan:
    You are absolutely right, Richard. Many people believe whatever the
    "experts" tell them to believe. You'll find them in Doctors waiting rooms
    eager to ingest the latest "happy" pill the drug companies have for sale.
    They paid a fortune for psychiatrists to investigate their mysterious ID, ego
    and super ego, and damaged psyche with which " psychiatric science" had them
    convinced they were afflicted. Having been convinced by "science" that they
    have no free will, they became the victims of their genes and their
    environment. Even rapists relax convinced their behavior is the logical
    result of random mutation and natural selection. Great numbers of women who
    believed the "experts" suddenly retrieved repressed memories of sexual abuse
    that occurred before the age of one year. They had their appendixes and
    adenoids removed and underwent hysterectomies for no reason. They fed their
    babies bottled milk, rather than nursing them. They were bled by leeches.
    They accepted social Darwinism, and sterilized people in the name of
    eugenics. They recognized meteorites as a hoax. (How could rocks fall from
    the sky?) They accepted the scientific judgement that women were mentally
    inferior to men. They used cocaine to treat morphine addiction, heroin to
    treat cocaine addiction and methadone to treat heroine addiction. They are
    confidently waiting for a treatment of methadone addiction. They give Ritalin
    to hyperactive children, confident the drug companies will discover a
    treatment for Ritalin addiction. They were told that that masturbation,
    condoms and suppressed sexual fantasies cause impotence, consumption,
    paralysis, seizures and insanity. They were told homosexuality was a mental
    illness caused by a dominant mother and an absent father. Thousands of
    people were unknowingly subjected to harmful, government-sponsored,
    scientific medical experiments. Surgeons performed thousands of lobotomies
    before anyone noticed the harm they were doing. For a while the tobacco and
    pesticide industries had no trouble hiring scientists who assured the public
    their products were safe. Whether the Icons of Evolution turns out to be
    valid or not, I suspect Richard is incensed that Wells should write such a
    book - convinced we would all be better off if such frauds and
    misrepresentations continued to be printed in biology books. Above all, I'm
    sure Richard wishes there were some way to force those rebellious individuals
    in the former colonies to accept "chance and natural selection" as the
    explanation of evolution. :-)

    The vast majority of the time science is man's most shinning accomplishment.
    However, the difference between science and pseudo science is often not
    apparent until later, and scientists are as susceptible to pettiness and
    personal prejudices as anyone else. I listen with interest to what the
    "experts" say, but if it defies common sense, as does "chance and natural
    selection" as an explanation of evolution in the opinion of many people, I'll
    keep hoping someone comes up with a more reasonable explanation.

    Bertvan:
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan