petty bickering academics

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 11:23:30 EDT

    Bertvan
    >>Considering the petty, childish bickering in which academics at universities
    >>indulge, if Baylor and this board are typical, why shouldn't the public
    take
    >>everything they say with a grain of salt? I'll accept the technical stuff,
    >>provisionally, but will view their interpretations as no more astute than
    >>anyone else's version.>

    Susan:
    >Argument and debate is the way science is done. It's the only way to
    >get closer and closer to the truth.
    >Which technical stuff do you accept provisionally?

    Bertvan:
    I have nothing against debate, although I can't imagine what any "debate"
    between you and I, neither of us scientists, would accomplish. At Baylor the
    faculty didn't want ID debated - not in the science department, not in the
    philosophy department, not in a special center to explore the relation
    between science and philosophy. They didn't want it discussed anywhere on
    their campus! If there were a couple of professors at Baylor who believed
    the universe is the result of design and teleology, rather than chance, do
    you suppose they would have dared speak up? Do you suppose there are
    scientists, untenured professors, at other universities who don't express
    criticism of "chance and natural selection" for fear of being denounced as
    "ignorant creationists" or "religious fanatics"?

    The facts I accept about evolution are fossils which appear to be related in
    some way, perhaps by common descent. (Although some scientists are beginning
    to suggest it was from some 30 or 40 ancestors, rather than one.) Organisms
    change over time, similar DNA produces similar morphology, and I have no
    reason to doubt accepted dating methods. I see no conclusive evidence
    indicating how evolution occurred. "Chance and natural selection" was
    Darwin's guess, and I have no quarrel with those who find that a satisfactory
    explanation. However, I see no reason to discourage people from looking for
    other explanations, such as Spetner's Lamarckism, Brigg Kleiss's horizontal
    transfer, James Shapiro's intelligent DNA, Intelligent Design, and Kauffman's
    self organization (which, to me, is the same as design.). Nothing you or I
    say could have any effect upon a scientific understanding of life. However,
    as long as you continue to insist that ID, or any criticism of "chance and
    natural selection", is merely a form of creationism, I can argue that it is
    not.

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan