Re: IDer's ad hominems against evolutionist disassociated from (CSI, GAs,

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (susanb@telepath.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 23:14:33 EDT

    >Richard Wein (Tich):

    >If you wish to maintain your position that Dawkins is an idiot, please tell
    >us more specifically what Dawkins has said that you object to. Otherwise, a
    >retraction would be appreciated. ;-)

    I've been asked by one other person where I got that idea. The only book
    I've read by Dawkins is Blind Watchmaker, and I think it's in there. I do
    remember reading it and getting so mad I almost threw the book across the
    room. So therefore I think it's a book rather than an article in a
    magazine. If I can't find it, or if I find something similar that I
    misunderstood, I will send in a retraction.

    > According to my dictionary, the word [stupid] can mean "foolish", and
    >I would agree that the statement above was a foolish one. But Dawkins is
    >clearly no fool in general.

    in general, no. It's just that in nearly everyone intelligence can be . . .
    uneven. :-)

    > >But what if someone is saying something that is patently, obviously and
    > >blindingly wrong? Something that can be easily verified. Then you find out
    > >the person knows what they are saying is wrong. Then you have to ask
    > >yourself *why* they would say such a thing even if they knew it was wrong.
    > >I think that's all worth discussion.
    >
    >I agree that it's useful and interesting (to me anyway) to ask why people
    >say the things they do. I doubt, though, whether creationists/IDers "know"
    >that they're wrong, except perhaps in rare cases. The question IMO is not
    >"why do they say something when they know it's wrong?", but "why do they
    >think something is right when it's so obviously wrong, and has frequently
    >been demonstrated to be wrong?"

    I find it fascinating also. I think it's the same thing that makes magic
    tricks work. Misdirection. You are distracted into looking over there when
    the "business" (what is *really* happening) is going on over here. Of
    course, I wonder how do you distract *people* toward what is really
    happening so that they can see the "business"?

    Susan

    --------

    Always ask. Hang out with people who make you laugh. Love as many people as
    you can. Read everything you can get your hands on. Take frequent naps.
    Watch as little television as you can stand. Tell people what you want. Do
    what you love as much as you can. Dance every day.
    --------
    Please visit my website:
    http://www.telepath.com/susanb