Re: IDer's ad hominems against evolutionist disassociated from (CSI, GAs,

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 16:28:27 EDT

    DNAunion: PART 3

    [...]

    >>>Susan: Some Christians have no trouble weaving the details of the world
    into their religion. Their god is merely larger than the world and science.
    Other religionists are very threatened by those who examine the world in
    detail and are afraid that something will be discovered (or has been
    discovered) that will prove their religion to be untrue. I think you, and
    nearly all creationists (and I believe that IDists are merely a subset of
    creationists) are in the latter category.

    DNAunion: [...see other posts for PART 1 and PART 2]

    Catch Phrase: "Molecules-to-Men Evolution"
    Another supposed indication that one is a Creationist is the use of the catch
    phrase "molecules-to-men evolution". In fact, here is a short exchange
    between an ant-IDist and me from the www.arn.org Intelligent Design
    discussion forum.

    [Opponent]: You write 'molecules to men' after claiming not to be interested
    in creationism?

    DNAunion: Yeah, so? Both the mechanisms underlying Darwinian evolution
    (mutation/selection) and the actual words "Darwinian evolution" have been
    applied to the evolution of all extant life forms from the MRCA (most recent
    common ancestor), and the MRCA from the very first life form(s), and the
    first life form(s) from inanimate molecules in the hypothetical "primordial
    soup". So, Darwinian evolution deals with evolution starting with mere
    molecules, up to humans - i.e., "molecules-to-men" evolution. Remember, it is
    "your" side ("hardcore" evolutionists) that proposes this [application of the
    term Darwinian evolution to all steps of evolution, starting from inanimate
    molecules all the way up to man] - not me. How has my simple three-word
    summary misstated anything? How do you conclude that I am now a Creationist
    because of this accurate, three-word summary? Should I always have to expand
    the simple notion out? Should I have said something like the following:
    "Evolution above the species level (the type involved in inanimate molecules
    of the putative primordial soup self-origanizing and compexifying until
    crossing the threshold to living entities, which then continue to evolve
    until becoming protocells, then evolving into true cells, then diverging into
    archaea and bacteria, and then a proto-eukaryote "eating" a prokaryote but
    instead of "digesting" it, forming a symbiosis with it, followed by 2 billion
    years of unicellular life, after which multicellularity burst forth, followed
    by the Cambrian explosion, and fish evolving into amphibians, which then
    evolved into reptiles, which then evolved into mammals, which then evolved
    into primates, which then evolved into humans evolution) is NOT empirically
    based." That is awfully demanding. Seems to me that all of those words could
    be condensed into the accurate phrase, "molecules-to-men".

    [opponent]: And again, you say you have 'no problem with evolution' - even
    paraphrase Behe elsewhere pointing out how he has no problem with an old
    earth and evolution. Yet later you write things like this, and chastize me
    for 'lumping' you in with the likes of Gish. If you could at least try to be
    consistent, you might get a warmer reception from me

    DNAunion: Did you even read my post? Read it again and then explain how my
    accurate, three word summarization leads to your conclusion that I am now a
    "Gisher"? Where did I mention the Christian God? Where did I reference the
    Bible? Where did I state Creation ex nihilo in 6 literal days? Where did I
    mention the Flood of Genesis? Where did I use the Bible as the truth, and
    then attempt to mold science so that it fit? Where did I state that evolution
    defies the 2nd law of thermodynamics? Where did I say that humans and
    dinosaurs coexisted? Your conclusion does not follow from the premises. If
    you have some implied, unstated premises you are secretly using, then maybe
    you should fill us all in so that we can follow your logic. As it stands now,
    your argument in not consistent. How do three words, "molecules-to-men", make
    me a Creationist? Please explain. …

    Note that even after these multiple, accurate, and logical challenges to my
    opponents invalid claims that I am a Creationist, he continues to lump me in
    with Duane Gish (probably the most prominent and hardcore Creationist in the
    last century).

    Apparently, these prejudiced, unfounded, and stereotypical views that
    anti-IDists hold are immensely resistant to change - they are clung to even
    after multiple lines of reasoning are presented that clearly indicate the
    conflation of ID with Creationist is a fallacy.

    One might suggest that if only I could present a quote from a naturalistic
    evolutionist using phrases like "molecules-to-men evolution", then surely use
    of that accurate summarization of naturalistic evolution could no longer be
    presented as evidence of one being a Creationist. The logic appears
    consistent, so here is the quote:

    "The bold and audacious hypothesis which assumes that life has been created
    as a result of the self-organization of matter is new. At the present time
    it seems the only valid hypothesis which reconciles matter and life.
    Ultimately, such an idea must be confirmed in laboratory experiments. We are
    at the very beginning of such an endeavor, and the road from molecules to
    life is still very long and full of pitfalls. However, we are entitled to
    hope that sometime in the future it can be proved unambiguously that
    self-organized properties of reacting and flowing systems constitute the
    missing link in the evolution of molecules to man." (Molecules, Dynamics and
    Life, A. Babloyantz, Wiley & Sons, 1986, p220; as quoted in Designed or
    Designoid, Walter L. Bradley, Chapter 1 of Mere Creation, edited by William
    Dembski, InterVaristy Press, 1998, p43)

    Note the last half dozen words in the last sentence. This is an explicit use
    of "evolution of molecules to man" by a naturalist. Is he now a Creationist?
     According to some anti-IDists' logic he is. But that is ridiculous as he
    holds that nature in and of itself is capable of transforming inanimate
    molecules into man given enough time. Since Babloyantz is not a Creationist,
    then is it okay to talk about "evolution of molecules to man", but not okay
    to talk about "molecules-to-men evolution"?

    Another example of the warped logic used to unjustifiably pigeonhole someone
    as a Creationist. The problem does not stem from WHAT is being said, but WHO
    is saying it: a double standard is being applied.