Re: Presumption flawed (was Dr. Roland Hirsch)

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 09:54:12 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Fri, 13 Oct 2000 13:54:34 EDT, Huxter4441@aol.com wrote:

    [...]

    >SB>If he is going to talk about things outside his field he really needs
    >to be more informed about it.

    Say's *Susan* who seems to have no problem talking about *everything*!

    What exactly is *Susan's* "field" so we know when she is talking "about
    things outside" her "field" and "really needs to be more informed about it"?

    From her web page it seems that Susan's "field" is that she is "a
    typesetter/graphic designer at the University of Oklahoma" but to be fair
    she does "own a tidy little collection of fossils"!:

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/aboutme/me.html

    [...]

    I write poetry, science fiction/fantasy and historical fiction, though I haven't
    had anything published. I recently finished a novel set during the French
    Revolution and am nearly finished with a mystery novel set in Depression-
    Era San Francisco. I'm an omnivorous reader, believe in being a life-long
    learner and am always giving myself crash courses in something that
    interests me. Right now I'm studying dance and learning how to play a
    drum in the African style. Paleontology is a passion of mine. If I were a
    man in the 19th century I would be a "gentleman naturalist." I even own a
    tidy little collection of fossils. I grow and use herbs for medicinal, and
    culinary purposes.

    [...]

    I am a typesetter/graphic designer at the University of Oklahoma.

    SJ>I presume that biochemistry and molecular biology *are* Hirsch's field.

    [...]

    HX>You may presume that, but a simple literature search shows that he has
    >NOTHING in print that has anything to do with DNA, molecular biology, or
    >especially evolutionary genetics.
    >
    >I could find only:

    [...]

    BTW how many scientific publications has *Huxter* published, when, and
    what are *their* titles?

    HX>Which of those is pertinent to the study of genetics, evolution, molecular
    >biology?
    >
    >Presumption flawed.

    Dr Hirsch has kindly sent me a web link (see below) where some of his
    expertise in "biochemistry and molecular biology" can be gauged.

    These are invitations for grants from the DoE in experimental and
    computational structural biology, of which Dr Hirsch advised me he was
    "the lead program manager".

    So it seems that the only "Presumption flawed" is that of *Huxter's* (and
    Susan)!

    I received more information privately from Dr Hirsch but I am double-checking
    with him to see if it is OK for me to post it.

    But suffice it to say that for years Darwinists have managed to perpetrate
    the myth that their theory is so self-evidently true that only `red-necked
    Bible-thumpers' are opposed to it. Yet here is a very senior analytical
    chemist who is "the lead program manager" in the DoE's "Experimental
    and Computational Structural Biology" branch, to whom requests for grant
    applications are made in that area, who claims on the basis of the latest
    biochemical data that: 1. "the Darwinian theory itself is fundamentally,
    perhaps fatally flawed" and 2) in "cellular processes...in some cases several
    different proteins must be present simultaneously, or the process does not
    take place at all" and "Such a process is called irreducibly complex."
    (http://www.waters.com/waters_website/corporate/releases/2000releases/rls_ACS_DrHirsch.htm)

    Of course none of this will make the *slightest* difference to committed
    naturalistic evolutionists like Huxter and Susan. Their attempt to disqualify
    critics on the grounds of lack of qualifications, or number of published
    papers, or some other criteria (real or imaginary), is just a standard ploy
    which NEs use to protect their theory (which is not to say they don't
    sincerely believe it).

    http://www.sc.doe.gov/production/grants/fr00_02.html

    For more information about the
    Office of Science Grant Program, go to the
    Front Page of the Office of Science
    Grants and Contracts Web Site.

    Office of Science
    Notice 00-02

    Experimental and Computational Structural Biology

    Department of Energy
    Office of Science

    Office of Science Financial Assistance Program Notice 00-02;
    Experimental and Computational Structural Biology

    AGENCY: U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)

    ACTION: Notice inviting grant applications.

    SUMMARY: The Office of Biological and Environmental Research
    (OBER) of the Office of Science (SC), U.S. Department of Energy (DOE),
    hereby announces its interest in receiving grant applications in its
    Experimental and Computational Structural Biology Program. Research is
    sought for experimental and computational biological studies on the
    structural biology of proteins involved in DNA repair or in bioremediation.

    DATES: Before preparing a formal application, potential applicants are
    encouraged to submit a brief preapplication. All preapplications,
    referencing Program Notice 00-02, should be received by DOE by 4:30
    P.M., E.S.T., January 12, 2000. A response encouraging or discouraging
    the submission of a formal application will be communicated by electronic
    mail by January 25, 2000.

    Formal applications submitted in response to this notice must be received
    by 4:30 P.M., E.D.T., May 2, 2000, to be accepted for merit review and
    consideration for award in Fiscal Years 2000 and 2001.

    ADDRESSES: Preapplications referencing Program Notice 00-02, must be
    sent by E-mail to sharon.betson@science.doe.gov. Preapplications will also
    be accepted if mailed to the following address: Ms. Sharon Betson, Office
    of Biological and Environmental Research, SC-73, 19901 Germantown
    Road, Germantown, Maryland 20874-1290.

    Formal applications, referencing Program Notice 00-02, should be
    forwarded to: U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science, Grants and
    Contracts Division, SC-64, 19901 Germantown Road, Germantown,
    Maryland 20874-1290, ATTN: Program Notice 00-02. This address must
    also be used when submitting applications by U.S. Postal Service Express
    Mail or any other commercial overnight delivery service, or hand-carried
    by the applicant. An original and seven copies of the application must be
    submitted.

    FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Dr. Roland F. Hirsch,
    Office of Biological and Environmental Research, SC-73, U.S. Department
    of Energy, 19901 Germantown Road, Germantown, MD 20874-1290,
    telephone: (301) 903-9009, FAX: (301) 903-0567, E-mail:
    roland.hirsch@science.doe.gov. Concerning the DNA Damage Recognition
    and Repair aspects: Dr. David G. Thomassen, Office of Biological and
    Environmental Research, SC-72, U.S. Department of Energy, 19901
    Germantown Road, Germantown, MD 20874-1290, telephone: (301) 903-
    9817, FAX: (301) 903-8521, E-mail: david.thomassen@science.doe.gov.
    Concerning the Bioremediation aspects: Dr. Anna C. Palmisano, Office of
    Biological and Environmental Research, SC-73, U.S. Department of
    Energy, 19901 Germantown Road, Germantown, MD 20874-1290,
    telephone: (301) 903-9963, FAX: (301) 903-8519, E-mail:
    anna.palmisano@science.doe.gov. The full text of Program Notice 00-02 is
    available via the Internet using the following web site address:
    http://www.sc.doe.gov/production/grants/grants.html.

    SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: The Office of Biological and
    Environmental Research supports a directed, basic research program in the
    areas of environmental, life and medical science. Major research program
    emphases are placed on characterization of human and microbial genomes,
    model organisms for understanding human gene function, structural
    biology, the biological effects of low dose radiation, global change, science
    and technology for environmental remediation, advanced imaging
    technologies, biomedical engineering and molecular nuclear medicine.

    Nucleic acid and derived amino acid sequence data are flowing from
    genome projects at an accelerating rate. Utilizing the genomic sequence as
    a blueprint, large-scale high-throughput three-dimensional structural
    analysis of cell proteins is planned. However, knowledge of high resolution
    protein structure will not be sufficient for understanding of protein function
    in the cellular environment. Proteins do not act independently or statically
    in living systems. In carrying out their functions within cells, proteins form
    complexes with other proteins and interact with a variety of structural,
    regulatory and ligand molecules. The role of structure in determining
    protein interactions with diverse molecules in a cell is still poorly
    understood. It is necessary to observe dynamic changes in protein structure
    and to study protein modifications, translocation, and subcellular
    concentrations to fully understand protein function. Such studies are
    therefore a major focus of this program.

    The transformation of the accumulating database of genomic information
    into a practical understanding of structure-function relationships in
    biological macromolecules and of the complicated systems that constitute
    living cells, tissues and organisms is paramount. The ultimate goal is to
    extend the understanding of the function and behavior of individual
    proteins to the genome scale through escalating levels of complexity from
    functional aggregates to metabolic circuits and homeostatic networks. This
    approach will eventually lead to a systems view of biology. This will enable
    diverse applications in human health, including individualized medicine and
    drug design, in biotechnology, including, new and improved biomaterials
    and new biocatalysis in industry and manufacturing, in environmental
    science for the design of enzymes for effective and efficient removal of
    environmental contaminants and in energy technology for the development
    and conversion of biomass for fuels.

    This notice is to solicit applications for grants for experimental and
    computational structural biology studies to expand our understanding of
    the function of proteins and protein complexes relevant to two high priority
    research programs within the Office of Biological and Environmental
    Research: 1) Recognition and repair of DNA damage, and 2)
    Bioremediation of environmental contamination by metals and
    radionuclides.

    DNA Damage Recognition and Repair

    The Office of Biological and Environmental Research has a long standing
    interest in determining health risks from exposures to low levels of
    radiation, information that is critical to adequately and appropriately
    protect people and to make the most effective use of our national
    resources. The Low Dose Radiation Research Program (see
    http://www.sc.doe.gov/production/ober/lowdose.html), supports research
    on the recognition and repair of DNA damage induced by low doses of
    ionizing radiation. Understanding cellular DNA damage recognition and
    repair in response to low doses of radiation is a key component of
    determining health risks from low doses of radiation and is likely to be a
    significant factor in identifying genetic factors that determine individual
    sensitivity to low doses of radiation.

    The Office of Biological and Environmental Research will accept
    applications to study proteins involved in the recognition and repair of
    radiation-induced DNA damage in prokaryotes and eukaryotes (including
    humans). Studies of interest include the following:

    High-resolution three-dimensional structure of normal and mutated DNA
    damage recognition and repair proteins using X-ray crystallography and
    NMR with an emphasis on structure/function relationships.

    Dynamic changes in protein structure associated with protein modification
    and with protein-protein and protein-DNA interactions that occur during
    the recognition and repair of radiation-induced DNA damage.

    Imaging of multi-protein DNA damage recognition and repair complexes,
    including high resolution, real-time optical imaging.

    Precise measurements of DNA damage recognition and repair protein
    concentrations, intracellular compartmentalization, and translocations in
    response to ionizing radiation.

    Bioremediation
    The Office of Biological and Environmental Research supports
    bioremediation research in its Natural and Accelerated Bioremediation
    Research Program (NABIR) (see
    http://www.sc.doe.gov/production/ober/EPR/nabir.html and
    http://www.lbl.gov/NABIR/). The major focus of this program is to gain a
    better understanding of the fundamental biological, chemical, geological,
    and physical processes that must be marshaled for the development and
    advancement of new, effective, and efficient processes for the remediation
    and restoration of the Nation's nuclear weapons production sites. A
    particular goal is to use molecular and structural biology to enable
    understanding of potential microbial remediation processes and to
    genetically modify macromolecules and organisms to improve their
    bioremedial activities. Many molecules, enzymes, and enzyme pathways
    that may be effective for bioremediation of metals and radionuclides are
    being identified.

    The Office of Biological and Environmental Research will accept
    applications for structural biological studies in the area of bioremediation,
    particularly those concerned with the reduction of metals and radionuclides
    in microbes (e.g., Shewanella putrefaciens MR 1). Studies of interest
    include the following:

    High resolution three dimensional structure of proteins involved in critical
    functions of microorganisms relevant to bioremediation processes,
    particularly those proteins involved in reducing metals and radionuclides.
    Structure/function relationships should be stressed.

    Dynamic changes in protein structure related to the binding and reduction
    of metals and radionuclides.

    Realtime visualization of protein complexes involved in these
    bioremediation functions.

    Studies, comparable to those outlined above, on genetically modified
    proteins and protein complexes with potential to contribute to the
    bioremediation of metals and radionuclides.

    Computational Structural Biology
    The Office of Biological and Environmental Research is interested in the
    development of improved computational approaches for finding the
    proteins involved in DNA repair or in bioremediation processes, for
    predicting the three dimensional structures of these proteins, or for
    modeling the complex interactions of these proteins in living organisms.
    Computational approaches to predict protein structure and function will
    play an increasingly important role as the complete genomic sequences of
    more organisms, including human, are made available over the next few
    years. These computational approaches will also provide an important
    interface with the projected increases in the rate of protein structure
    determination. This program is focusing on sophisticated prediction,
    modeling, and simulation research to provide a generalizable approach to
    the interrelationship of macromolecular sequence, structure, and function
    with specific applications in DNA repair or in bioremediation.

    The program places emphasis on projects that advance or integrate existing
    software tools in novel ways and/or develop new computational strategies
    to exploit databases of macromolecular structural information, including
    both high and low resolution. This includes the goal of predicting the
    structure and function of newly discovered gene sequences as well as the
    prediction or computational design of the chemical properties and
    architectural arrangement of proteins, protein-protein complexes, or
    protein-nucleic acid complexes needed for a particular functional
    application.

    The Office of Biological and Environmental Research will accept
    applications for the development and use of computational tools that would
    ultimately accomplish one or more of the following objectives. A clear path
    should be presented from the fundamental computational research to be
    carried out to the testing of the new algorithms on one or more of these
    objectives:

    Develop high throughput computational methods to predict or identify,
    from sequence information, proteins involved in the recognition or repair of
    radiation- induced DNA damage or in the bioremediation of metals and
    radionuclides. This predictive capability will be essential for understanding
    the complete structure, function, and dynamic behavior of multiprotein
    complexes.

    Predict from sequence the structure or the function of proteins involved in
    the recognition or repair of radiation-induced DNA damage or in the
    bioremediation of metals and radionuclides.

    Characterize or simulate molecular interactions between proteins, proteins
    and DNA, or proteins and ligand molecules involved in the recognition or
    repair of radiation- induced DNA damage or in the bioremediation or
    metals and radionuclides including changes due to genetically modified
    proteins.

    Program Funding
    It is anticipated that up to $3 million will be available for multiple grant
    awards during Fiscal Years 2000 and 2001 contingent upon the availability
    of appropriated funds. Applications may request project support up to
    three years, with out-year support contingent on the availability of funds,
    progress of the research and programmatic needs. We expect to award
    several research grants of up to $300,000 per year in this area.

    Preapplications

    A brief preapplication should be submitted. The preapplication should
    identify, on the cover sheet, the title of the project, the institution, principal
    investigator name, address, telephone, fax, and E-mail address, and the
    research element(s) being addressed (DNA Damage Recognition and
    Repair; Bioremediation; or Computational Structural Biology). The
    preapplication should consist of two to three pages identifying and
    describing the research objectives, methods for accomplishment, and
    potential benefits of the effort. Preapplications will be evaluated relative to
    the scope and research needs for the Experimental and Computational
    Structural Biology Program.

    Applications

    Applications will be subjected to scientific merit review (peer review) and
    will be evaluated against the following evaluation criteria listed in
    descending order of importance as codified at 10 CFR 605.10(d):

    1. Scientific and/or Technical Merit of the Project
    2. Appropriateness of the Proposed Method or Approach
    3. Competency of Applicant's Personnel and Adequacy of Proposed
    Resources
    4. Reasonableness and Appropriateness of the Proposed Budget.

    The evaluation will include program policy factors such as the relevance of
    the proposed research to the terms of the announcement and the agency's
    programmatic needs. Note, external peer reviewers are selected with
    regard to both their scientific expertise and the absence of conflict-of-
    interest issues. Non-federal reviewers may be used, and submission of an
    application constitutes agreement that this is acceptable to the
    investigator(s) and the submitting institution.
    Information about the development, submission of applications, eligibility,
    limitations, evaluation, the selection process, and other policies and
    procedures may be found in 10 CFR Part 605, and in the Application Guide
    for the Office of Science Financial Assistance Program. Electronic access
    to the Guide and required forms is made available via the World Wide Web
    at: http://www.sc.doe.gov/production/grants/grants.html. In addition, for
    this notice, the Project Description must be 25 pages or less, exclusive of
    attachments, and the application must contain a Table of Contents, an
    abstract or project summary, letters of intent from collaborators (if any),
    and short curriculum vitae consistent with National Institutes of Health
    guidelines. On the SC grant face page, form DOE F4650.2, in block 15,
    also provide the PI's phone number, fax number, and E-mail address.

    DOE policy requires that potential applicants adhere to 10 CFR 745
    "Protection of Human Subjects", or such later revision of those guidelines
    as may be published in the Federal Register.

    The Office of Science as part of its grant regulations requires at 10 CFR
    605.11(b) that a recipient receiving a grant and performing research
    involving recombinant DNA molecules and/or organisms and viruses
    containing recombinant DNA molecules shall comply with NIH "Guidelines
    for Research Involving Recombinant DNA Molecules," which is available
    via the world wide web at:
    http://www.niehs.nih.gov/odhsb/biosafe/nih/rdna-apr98.pdf, (59 FR 34496,
    July 5, 1994,) or such later revision of those guidelines as may be published
    in the Federal Register.

    The Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance Number for this program is
    81.049, and the solicitation control number is ERFAP 10 CFR Part 605.

    John Rodney Clark
    Associate Director of Science
    for Resource Management

    Published in the Federal Register November 10, 1999, Volume 64, Number
    217, Pages 61318-61321.

    Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ Email: sejones@iinet.net.au
    3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Web: http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones
    Warwick 6024 -> *_,--\_/ Phone: +61 8 9448 7439
    Perth, Western Australia v "Test everything." (1 Thess. 5:21)