Re: Evolution Elswhere?

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 08:42:49 EDT

    From: David Bradbury <dabradbury@mediaone.net>
    [...]
    >Reply by DABradbury 10/17/00:
    >
    > I here simply present the (unwelcome) modifying condition set forth by
    the
    >invited mathematicians Dr. Murray Eden and Marcel Schutzenberger at the
    Wistar
    >Symposium No. 5, "MATHEMATICAL CHALLENGES TO THE NEO-DARWINIAN
    INTERPRETATION OF
    >EVOLUTION", April 1966, Pg. 109. Namely:
    >
    > "It is our contention that if 'random' is given a serious and crucial
    >interpretation from a probabilistic point of view, the randomness postulate
    is
    >highly implausible and that an adequate scientific theory of evolution must
    await
    >the discovery and elucidation of new natural laws -- physical,
    physico-chemical and
    >biological."

    I'm not familiar with the Wistar conference. Can anyone give more details
    about the context of this quotation? What was the basis for this statement?
    Did Eden and Schutzenberger do some sort of probability calculation, and
    claim that the probability of evolution as we see it is too low to for
    existing explanations to be acceptable? Or did they have some problem in
    principle with the concept of randomness? If the former, then I wonder why
    Dembski doesn't cite this calculation as the evidence he needs to support
    his Design Inference. If the latter, that would perhaps have some bearing on
    my recent discussion with Brian Harper about randomness in evolution.

    Or perhaps Eden and Schutzenberger were just saying that the probability
    seemed to them to be too low, but without giving any mathematical
    justification for this claim.

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    "Do the calculation. Take the numbers seriously. See if the underlying
    probabilities really are small enough to yield design."
      -- W. A. Dembski, who has never presented any calculation to back up his
    claim to have detected Intelligent Design in life.