Re: ID *does* require a designer! (but it does not need to identify who or what he/it is)

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 23:50:06 EDT

    From: DNAunion@aol.com <DNAunion@aol.com>

    >>>Richard Wein:
    >
    >From: Stephen E. Jones <sejones@iinet.net.au>
    >Date: 18 August 2000 00:07
    >Subject: Re: ID unfalsifiable? (was Designed Designers?)
    >
    >[start extract]
    >>RW: The hypothesis with which we're concerned here, the "ID hypothesis",
    is
    >the assertion that "an intelligent designer was involved in the origin of
    >life"(or something like that).
    >

    >>Maybe Richard should take a bit more time to find out first what exactly
    it
    >is he is claiming to refute. As I have stated a number of times recently,
    the
    >"ID hypothesis" is not about "an intelligent designer" but about
    intelligent
    >*design*.
    >[end extract]
    >
    >> Richard Wein:So Stephen did not state "ID does not require a designer"
    in
    >so many words. But that's the only logical way to interpret his reply.
    >

    >DNAunion: Absolutely not. The *most* logical way to read the statement
    >(which means that another of your claims is wrong, i.e., that there is
    *only
    >one* logical way to interpret his reply) is just as he stated elsewhere:
    the
    >focus of the ID position is not on the *intelligent designer*, but on the
    >detection of *intelligent design*. Get it yet?

    Oh dear, DNA, I once thought you were a cut above the average IDer.
    Unfortunately, some of your recent posts, including this one, have shown
    that you're just as illogical as the rest of them.

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    "Do the calculation. Take the numbers seriously. See if the underlying
    probabilities really are small enough to yield design."
      -- W. A. Dembski, who has never presented any calculation to back up his
    claim to have detected Intelligent Design in life.