Re: A new private mailing list?

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 17:07:39 EDT

    Reflectorites

    See comments below.

    I am considering continuing the Reflector (like as it originally was under
    Phil Johnson) but in the form of a small private mailing list that would
    involve sending messages using the cc address book group facility. I
    presume this is feasible?

    I think there is a place for a list on creation/evolution/design that is
    mainly for laypeople and would feature a lot of news and scientific
    article sharing, and less debate.

    The list would be open to all those who are interested in design/ID (which
    would also include its Darwinian/naturalistic evolution rivals).

    The list would not necessarily exclude evolutionists but it would exclude
    those who denied design apriori (i.e. no amount of evidence would ever
    convince them of it). Constructive criticism of design/ID would be OK (in
    fact welcome) but not destructive. One would not have to believe that the
    designer was the Christian God, or in fact in *any* designer.

    The list would *not* be open to `flamethrowers' or those who habitually
    indulge in ad hominems.

    New members would be admitted only by recommendation of an existing
    member and would be required to state their name, occupation /
    qualifications and where they stand in the creation-evolution design/ID
    spectrums. I personally don't like pseudonyms, but if someone had a *very*
    good reason to remain anonymous and use one, and the group was happy
    about it, they could.

    Members would be encouraged to participate, but if they wanted to mainly
    lurk, that would be OK. The number and size of posts should be inversely
    proportionate to the number of posting members.

    I would function (if the group wished) as a moderator, mainly to call an
    end to any debates that were starting to look intractable and otherwise
    infringing the rules.

    But there would be a simple remedy to those who continued to flout the
    rules of this list. Just delete the offending party from our address books!

    This would be a private list and therefore cross-posting to other lists
    without permission of the moderator would not be permitted or tolerated.

    If the list became larger I would look at using proper mailing list software
    (e.g. Majordomo). My service provider hosts a couple of mailing lists so
    we might even be able to do that fairly soon.

    If anyone is interested in being members of new list on the above terms,
    please send me an email privately. I will keep that confidential.

    One more thing. No one is allowed to tell my dear, long-suffering wife who
    thought that at last she, and my local demonstration of the second law of
    thermodynamics (my disintegrating house), was going to enjoy more of my
    spare time! :-).

    Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ Email: sejones@iinet.net.au
    3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Web: http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones
    Warwick 6024 -> *_,--\_/ Phone: +61 8 9448 7439
    Perth, Western Australia v "Test everything." (1 Thess. 5:21)