Re: Del Ratzsch new book: `Science & Its Limits'

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 16:53:39 EDT

    Reflectorites

    I have recently purchased Del Ratzch's latest book "Science & Its Limits", which
    is an update of his "Philosophy of Science" (1986).

    I have not finished it, but what I have read looks good. I particularly like this bit:

            "It could be a scene straight out of Star Trek. A doctor examining a
            crew member who has fallen mysteriously ill discovers something
            remarkable in samples taken from the patient. What she finds is a
            tiny self-contained, self-sustaining unit tightly packed with even
            tinier subunits, which is controlled by what appear to be software
            and processors so compact and condensed that their components
            are specialized complex individual molecules. Further, the doctor
            discovers, this microscopic entity contains a propulsion system
            driven by a nifty, minutely inboard electric rotary motor. The motor
            is attached to an outboard component which it rotates, thereby
            generating the propulsion. Although the entity is obviously not of
            human manufacture, the doctor recognizes an intelligently designed
            micro machine when she sees one. And though she does not yet
            know who designed it, what its purpose is or how it got into the
            crew member, she immediately issues a security alert.

            That might have been a scene from Star Trek, but it is not it is a
            story about *us*. Each of us has millions of these remarkable units
            in our own bodies they are microorganisms called E. coli. Although
            E. coli are common parts of our natural internal and external
            environments, it is difficult not to be rather astonished by the
            existence of the microscopic electric rotary motors. In most
            contexts we (like the doctor) would take the existence of such a
            motor-complete with organic rotors, stators, bushings, driveshafts-
            as virtually conclusive evidence that some intelligent designer had
            been at work here. In fact, a number of scientists (e.g., Michael
            Behe, author of Darwin's Black Box) have come to exactly that
            conclusion and maintain that we cannot have a complete scientific
            understanding of some parts of nature without incorporating the
            concept of design."

            (Ratzsch D.L., "Science & Its Limits: The Natural Sciences in
            Christian Perspective," [1986], Intervarsity Press: Downers Grove
            IL., Second Edition, 2000, p.111. Emphasis in original).

    Here are its contents:

    1. Science: What is it? 11

    2. The Traditional Conception of Science 17

    3. Philosophy of Science in the 1 960s & 1 970s
            Kuhn & Beyond 38

    4. The Contemporary Situation
            A Brief Introduction 63

    5. The Competence of Science
            What Can it Tell us? 73

    6. The Limitations of Science
            What Can it Not Tell us? 92

    7. "Scientific" Challenges to Religious Belief 100

    8. Design & Science 110

    9. Christianity & Scientific Pursuits 133

    10. Christianity & the Specific Content of Science
             A Typology 141

    Appendix: Speaking the Truth in Love
            Some Thoughts About Feet 160

    There is a short blurb about it at
    http://www.gospelcom.net/cgi-ivpress/book.pl/code=1580

    "The origin of life has been explained by many theories which have become
    progressively incompatible with the progress of scientific knowledge:
    spontaneous generation; cosmic fertilization, according to which the Earth
    was sown with germ-cells brought by meteorites or by interstellar cosmic
    dust; creation by pure chance. None of these suggestions stand up to
    serious critical examination." (Tetry A., "The Cell," in Rostand J. & Tetry
    A., "Larousse Science of Life: A Study of Biology Sex, Genetics, Heredity
    and Evolution," [1962], Hamlyn: London, 1971, p.56)