Re: WHY DOES THE UNIVERSE WORK?

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 12:14:57 EDT

    At 01:35 AM 10/06/2000, you wrote:
    > >FMAJ: Because we have direct evidence of the "evolution" of life and
    >species and mutation and natural selection.
    >
    >DNAunion: We have direct evidence of intelligent design: computers, cars,
    >televisions. But more importantly, we have direct evidence of intelligent
    >design in biology: genetic engineering and rational design in protein
    >engineering. In addition, we have direct evidence of intelligent design
    >creating circuits that can undergo mutation and selection, thus nature no
    >longer has a monopoly on RM & NS as a creative mechanism. In addition, we
    >have direct evidence of intelligent design creating robots that can create
    >other robots: and self-replicating robots are highly probable before the end
    >of this century.
    >
    > >FMAJ: IC however is based on elimination.
    >
    >DNAunion: No, IC is based on observation. At the most, it is the creation
    >of an IC system that is based on elimination/inference. That's like
    >confusing a feather itself with the evolution of a feather from a scale.
    >
    > >FMAJ: That's quite a difference.
    >
    >DNAunion: Sure, if it were true.
    >
    > >FMAJ: In the case of IC definition and clear definition is very important
    >since design is infered through the absence of a Darwinian mechanism.
    >
    >DNAunion: I guess I don't get it.
    >
    >Suppose I am learning about the workings of a four-stroke reciprocating
    >internal combustion engine and find that there is a single system composed of
    >several well-matched and interacting parts, each contributing to the overall
    >function, wherein the removal of any one of them leads to loss of function.
    >Under those conditions, based on the properties of the system of interest
    >alone, I would conclude intelligent design. And I wouldn't necessarily have
    >to eliminate Darwinian evolution, the inference just followed from the
    >inherent properties.

    Chris
    You mean, such as that metal parts such as those used in engines are known
    to be designed? Yes, *if* the thing in question is built of parts that are
    known to be designed, and assembled in a way that is already known to be a
    product of design, then such an "inference" is trivially easy. But such
    cases are essentially irrelevant to the question of whether life on Earth
    is designed and has been manipulated along the way. If you can show me the
    machining marks, the screws, the factories, and so on that indicate design,
    please do. But, it is my understanding that few humans were around in those
    early days, and we have not found any "ruins" of factories, no remnants of
    design documents, and the production of life seems to occur today without
    intervention, and we know that automobile engines do *not* reproduce themselves