Re: Examples of natural selection generating CSI

From: Ivar Ylvisaker (ylvisaki@erols.com)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 23:58:52 EDT

    "Stephen E. Jones" wrote:

    > IY>I'm not aware of an example of anything that can be labeled CSI. I've
    > >seen claims by Dembski and others but have never seen any explicit
    > >justification for such a claim.
    >
    > How about the genetic code for starters?

    According to Dembski's The Design Inference, one calculates
    complexity (i.e., improbability) by examining all possible (non-design)
    hypotheses. This has never been done and I can not imagine that it ever
    will be.

    If you or others want to propose the hypothesis that complex things
    such as the genetic code are always assembled by intelligent beings,
    that is fine with me. But I don't see how you plan to collect evidence
    to confirm your hypothesis. You seem to be stuck with a sample size
    of one (man). And Darwin's RM&NS suggests an alternative hypothesis.
    Further, this is not Dembski's approach. Dembski says that he is not
    proposing "design" as an hypothesis; rather, he is proposing to deduce
    design by eliminating all alternative hypotheses to design. His
    approach is better characterized as philosophical rather than scientific.

    > IY>Of course, Dembski wants to demonstrate the existence of miracles.
    > >Wesley's genetic algorithms will, probably, not be deemed an
    > >adequate substitute.
    >
    > This is a common misunderstanding. ID in general and "Dembski" in
    > particular, do not propose (or even need) to "demonstrate the existence of
    > miracles":

    I think that Dembski does "want" to demonstrate miracles. Look at
    Chapter 8, An Act of Creation, in his book Intelligent Design, for
    example. This does not mean that his proposal to detect ID is a
    proposal to detect miracles.

    Ivar