Re: CSI, GAs, etc.

From: Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.cls.org)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 01:12:10 EDT

    Chris Cogan wrote to Richard Wein:

    RW>I really want to see calculations that have been done to
    RW>*Dembski's* satisfaction, since only Dembski can reliably
    RW>say whether they are bona fide applications of his methods.

    CC>This would only be true if he has not clearly and/or
    CC>completely specified his method. If he *has* clearly and
    CC>completely specified it, it should be applicable by anyone
    CC>who can do the needed calculations. If this cannot be done,
    CC>then it may indicate a flaw in Dembski's method or its
    CC>presentation.

    That is one issue, but not the only one. As I pointed out
    before, simply saying that the critics misunderstand Dembski's
    work is not going to resolve the issue. If Dembski produces a
    set of examples that show, in detail, his
    complexity-specification criterion being applied to
    non-trivial cases (especially those relating to his claims
    about biology), then we not only have Dembski's assertion that
    the critics misunderstand, but also a demonstration of what a
    correct understanding of the technique produces. Without
    Dembski's certification, we are reduced to one of those flat
    fitness functions wherein the critics try something and
    Dembski pronounces, "No, that was not it." Let's see what
    "it" is for certain.

    Now for another issue. Dembski claims to be doing science,
    and saying that his claims that DI finds CSI in biology are
    science. Scientists make their data available for review.
    The data for Dembski's claim that the application of *his*
    complexity-specification criterion finds that the complex,
    information-rich systems of biology have CSI has not yet been
    made available for review. Coupled with Dembski's claim that
    his DI is a *novel* and rigorous formulation, it follows that
    either Dembski must have this specific data or must certify
    that the data provided by another person is the data he was
    citing as the basis for his published claim. It also follows
    that if pre-TDI and none-DBB examples are proffered, that two
    of Dembski's claims will have been abandoned as false: 1) the
    claim of novelty and thus priority for the DI and 2) the claim
    that Behe's IC examples have CSI.

    This claim that complexity-specification applied to biology
    shows design looks like it may be ID's "cold fusion". Where's
    the data?

    Wesley