Re: WHY DOES THE UNIVERSE WORK?

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 00:15:33 EDT

    In a message dated 10/1/2000 9:11:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    ralphkru@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU writes:

    > >a component of all life, perhaps its defining characteristic. I understand
    > >Margulis believes a degree of consciousness is characteristic of all life.
    > >(Margulis, having paid the obligatory lip service to natural selection, is
    > >still recognized by the establishment. Right?)
    >
    > ID, then, is just about anything except Darwinism? "Anyone" with an
    > alternative is welcome? I have to give more weight to the criticism
    > I've seen that ID is so amorphous it can't even define itself except in
    > terms of anti-Darwinism.

    That's an interesting comment but in light of Behe's IC it seems indeed that
    IC/ID can only exist in terms of non-Darwinian.

    From Behe's Empty Box (http://www.world-of-dawkins.com/box/behe.htm):

        "But read this argument carefully. Behe is not offering a way to detect
        design, he is offering a way to falsify gradual Darwinian evolution,
        and by elimination, conclude design. But there is one big problem- his
        falsifier has been falsified. The conclusion that an "irreducibly
        complex system cannot be produced gradually by slight,
         successive modifications of a precursor system" is simply wrong. "

    >Bertvan:
    >
    > >Devices were added. (either by chance or as the result of intelligence) I
    > >see no reason for any awareness of a goal. Creative ability, and awareness
    > of
    > >increased efficiency might be enough.
    >
    > Are we not talking about ID--Intelligent Design? If there is no overall
    > goal, if the organism has no idea how these new changes will be used,
    > how is this different from Darwinism? Where does the intelligence
    > come in?

    If I remember correctly, Bertvan has accepted natural forces as the designer
    of ID.