Re: Numerical Significance

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 18:57:32 EDT

    In a message dated 10/1/2000 3:39:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    vernon.jenkins@virgin.net writes:

    [...]

    > The choice of numerical material here in the Bible's opening words -
    > together with such connotations - is, I submit, sufficiently remarkable
    > to draw the earnest seeker of truth to consider the many other attendant
    > details more closely. (These are available online at the URLs given
    > below.)

    It's based on the acceptance of the veracity of the Bible as the Word of God.
    As such you have tried to interpret your "numerical materials". If this is
    done on a scientific argument then you have to deal with the issues, not
    assume them.

    > In conclusion, I suggest the foregoing scenario is close to the truth of
    > the matter. However, I would be interested to hear the views of others
    > who - having examined the details I have provided - are able to offer a
    > more reasonable explanation of the Gn.1:1 phenomena. Clearly, the claim
    > I am making invites a solid rebuttal from those with atheistic leanings!

    Why? It's based on your pre-acceptance of the Word of God. My argument and
    that of others doubt that there is something special about these numbers.
    Certainly if an atheist does not accept the Word of God, why would he accept
    your word that these numbers are "special" when the scientific foundation for
    such an assertion seems to be lacking. Certainly the foundation that the
    special-ness of the numbers indicates a supernatural origin.

    After all the numbers are all quite natural, so can they be used as evidence
    of a supernatural designer?

    I doubt it. At least not without some assumptions.

    If you believe that your work requires a rebuttal then please explain why? So
    far it merely seems that your work is meant to further strengthen your faith.
    Just like a sunset can be to some the sign of the beautiful design of our
    Lord.

    Does this mean that the sunset is a reliable detector of the supernatural?
    I doubt it