WHY DOES THE UNIVERSE WORK?

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 10:38:37 EDT

    Ralph:
    >No. Notice my use of the word "invariably". Now that you are including
    >the words "more likely", I can agree with you. Intelligence is more likely
    >to produce rational, complex organisms than chance, but there are
    >several unspoken assumptions here. The first, of course, is that an
    >intelligence is available. But even if an intelligence is available, you
    have
    >to assume that it has a *goal* to produce a rational, complex organism.
    >Then you have to assume that it has *sufficient* intelligence to accomplish
    >its goal. Mr. Norman has already agreed that this would take at least a
    >human level of intelligence. Does this picture remind you of anything?
    >I thought you were agnostic?

    Bertvan
    An accumulation of marginally intelligent, individual choices, with limited
    goals, can design a culture, an economy or an biosphere, with no natural
    selection involved. Apparently there is no need for anything even approaching
    human intelligence for a complex system to be built up piece by piece. It
    seems a more likely possibility than chance. (I am not sure what you are
    suggesting about religion. I am an agnostic, not an atheist.)

    >Bertvan:
    >>I'm merely suggesting symbiosis is not a chance event. Motivation is
    >>involved.

    Ralph:
    >"Intelligent" motivation, I presume you mean? I was merely pointing out
    >that symbiosis is not always the rosy picture you seemed to be painting.

    Bertvan:
    Intelligence only needs to be great enough to pursue some limited goal.

    Ralph:
    >You seemed to be suggesting that it took intelligence for the DNA to follow
    >its code. I was saying that if you scramble that code, even so badly that
    >the organism is no longer viable, the DNA still follows the code. If this is
    >intelligence, it must be *blind* intelligence, without any motivation to
    >produce a rational, complex organism, as we were discussing above.

    Bertvan:
    It can be defined as intelligence and still not be capable of unscrambling
    itself.

    >Bertvan:
    >>The Darwinists are the ones who claim to know for certain that intelligence/
    >>mind/motivation/free will/Teleology play no important part in natures
    >>processes. As a result they have ended up with a theory that most people
    >>don't find credible, but no one can think of an alternative. Nevertheless,
    >>for some reason they feel compelled to impose this theory upon society as
    >>"fact".

    Ralph:
    >You just seem to be demanding different criteria from science than
    >you use for yourself. You demand that science say with "certainty"
    >that no intelligence is required, yet you believe intelligence *is*
    >present, even though no one, AFAIK, has proved that with "certainty".

    Bertvan:
     I don't take to the courts to try to ensure that my ideas be taught in
    schools to the exclusion of all other thoughts on the subject. I wouldn't
    try to discourage anyone, including YECs and materialists, from expressing
    their views. I regard diversity of opinion as healthy.

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan