Does Selection Exist?, part 2

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 01:02:38 EDT

    A better formulation of the question is: Does selection *occur*? Selection
    is not a "thing," like a rock. It's a type of event or a set of events, any
    one of which may count as selection.

    *Does* selection occur? Yes, any time an organism is killed before it
    either reproduces or contributes all it might otherwise to reproduction.
    Any time the initial genotype is corrupted in such a way that the organism
    never really develops. Any time a variation occurs during DNA replication
    such that the rest of the DNA replication process is corrupted so that even
    the first cells of the new organism are nonviable. Any time a flood or
    volcano wipes out a species (in fact, any time a species goes extinct at
    all). Any time the organism is healthy but is genetically basically viable
    but is in an environment that provides insufficient resources for it to
    reproduce. Any time an organism that depends on sexual recombination for
    reproduction is unable to find a mate.

    Even mathematically *random* selection is still selection, so that, even if
    a certain percentage of a population of a species is killed off in such a
    way that the distribution of "natural selection" and "designed selection"
    together is effectively mathematically random, it is still selection. And,
    in this case, there will tend to be a genetic distribution that reflects
    this randomness.

    Genetic drift is *also* selection. It increases the prevalence of some
    genes relative to others, thus selecting against the others. If the drift
    continues long enough in one direction, some genes may be lost altogether.
    Genetic drift selects for certain genes at the expense of others. The
    genotypes that *had* the genes do not get fully reproduced; they are
    progressively selected out. For whatever reason, some of their genetic
    material is not "fit" enough to ensure that it survives the replication
    process itself.

    If selection did *not* occur, if *every* genotype that ever existed was
    always somehow able to reproduce (at a rate equal, say, to that of its
    closest naturally viable ancestor), the entire galaxy would now *be* a mass
    of strands of nonviable DNA and the weirdest organisms you can imagine
    (assuming it could be kept from collapsing into a huge black hole).
    Exponential population growth over 3.8 billion years would require some
    God-like being to keep providing more matter, just for the DNA strands.

    Selection occurs, all the time, for almost every species, even humans. For
    example, my own genes will almost certainly be selected out, because I do
    not plan ever to have children. Is this "natural" selection? It doesn't
    matter; it's still selection, and much the same happens to non-human
    organisms fairly frequently, but without planning, and as "naturally" as we
    can imagine.

    Why would anyone, such as Stephen Jones, declare absolutely that selection
    doesn't occur?

    Why, having thought of such a notion, would a person not pause for a moment
    and check out the idea in the light of potential counter-examples?

    Why is this kind of blatant lack of critical thought applied to one's own
    views so *hugely* prevalent in the ID-theory crowd? Why don't Jones,
    Johnson, Behe, Dembski, Thaxton, Schutzenberger, Bertvan, and the rest ever
    notice just how bad their facts and reasoning are?

    Is there anything that can be done for these people? Probably not; their
    meme-systems are almost perfect closed at the core, so that information
    only gets in at a remote distance from the core, and is processed solely
    (or nearly so) to find ways to support the central system of memes. Faith
    is supported by faith in faith, faith in faith is supported by *severely*
    selective processing of incoming information. Logic is used almost strictly
    as an instrument to construct arguments to support one's views or attack
    opposing ones, or for trivial, mundane purposes, not to examine the core
    ideas themselves. The egotism of faith is supported by the faith in faith
    (if one's *own* faith can't be trusted, maybe faith *isn't* such a hot
    thing, so, naturally, one's faith must be trusted if faith is already
    accepted as a valid "method" (it's really a non-method)). The egotism
    itself supports the belief in one's own infallibility ("Look at all the
    truths I established by faith"), and this supports the belief that one need
    not critically examine one's own ideas or arguments, because one believes
    one is *so* automatically reliable that such examination of one's own ideas
    would just be a waste of time (and the idea that it would be a waste of
    time is itself attractive precisely because it helps protect the egotism,
    etc.). Etc., etc., etc.

    Thus, the idea that "selection" is a metaphor arrives at the door of
    Stephen's mind, fresh from some book. He concludes that this means that
    selection does not exist; it's only a metaphor (he does not ask *what* it's
    a metaphor for). Having concluded this, and being egotistically "sure" that
    his own instant conclusions are true, and having a good "feeling" about it,
    he is ready to start declaring that selection does not exist. It is not
    necessary to consider whether it is compatible with empirical facts of
    which he knows, such as the extinctions of species, the fact that some
    organisms obviously cannot live in certain environments, the fact that, in
    many cases, the slow prey will get caught and "selected" out much more
    often than otherwise similar but much faster prey, etc. This would be too
    empirical for him; playing a little game with a few beads is about as
    empirical as he will get.

    Why harp on the deficiencies of Stephen Jones' way of thinking? Because it
    is a somewhat purified version of what *many* ID theorists (and people
    generally, for that matter) do, and the mechanisms and results are worth
    knowing about so they can be detected and avoided, especially in one's
    *own* thinking.

    However, to get back to the topic of evolution for a moment, Stephen has
    touched on an interesting point. That is that, *if* selection did not
    occur, or did not occur systematically enough to account for the general
    distribution of life as we see it (as opposed to a galaxy-full of DNA and
    wacky organisms piled everywhere throughout all available space), *then*
    the lack of such post-selection *combined* with the rather narrow
    distribution of life that we have on Earth, would suggest that something
    was doing some *pre-*selecting. This something, if it existed, could be a
    designer, though, even then, we'd have to eliminate such things as strong
    predispositions for certain kinds of chemical reactions to occur rather
    than other ones under various conditions, etc.

    Thus, *if* there were no selection, it would serve as one key fact in an
    argument for design.

    Perhaps that's Stephen's real reasoning. I don't know; perhaps he'll
    explain his position on this more fully. But, consider that, *if* a person
    already firmly believed in design, then, obviously, one might want to
    eliminate natural selection (or natural exclusion, to be more verbally
    precise), and attribute the existing distribution of life to the designer's
    *pre-*selecting of genetic material. This is, in this case, backwards
    reasoning, because the very point at issue is whether there is a designer,
    so it does no good to *presume* that natural selection does not occur. This
    is something that one must prove, and not with such a pitiful method as
    pointing out that the terminology is metaphorical, and that there is
    nothing sitting around consciously choosing which organisms will die and
    which won't, etc. We already know that; that's not what the idea of natural
    selection is about. I *really* wish it had been called something like
    "natural exclusion," but it wasn't.

    Also, virtually naturalistic evolutionists are Platonistic/Rationalistic
    enough to reify such a concept anyway; that's something that is *much* more
    prevalent among theists (particularly Christian theists). We know that it's
    a general term for the occurrence of a genome or gene or organism being
    excluded from further reproduction (or from reproducing as much as it might
    have otherwise). We don't think of it as some sort of "thing," like a rock,
    or even a *process* (though that is much closer). It's *any* event that, in
    context, prevents something from being reproduced.

    Thus, it even includes the exclusion of a gene via genetic drift; the gene
    is not "fit" enough to ensure that the reproductive process transfers it on
    to the new genotypes reliably. It may be a perfectly good gene, but in a
    bad location (in the genome), or it may have some chemical characteristic
    that leaves it unreproduced more often than alternative alleles, etc.

    I hope this answers any burning questions people may have had left after my
    first post on this topic. And, I hope that it will encourage people to be a
    little less hasty in accepting ideas merely because there is something
    intuitive about them, or because the terminology used to identify a class
    of facts is metaphorical in some way.