Impedance matching

From: Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.cls.org)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 11:47:04 EDT

    Nelson Alonso wrote:

    [...]

    NA>Wesley wrote:

    I'm going to put it in one block here before moving on to
    responding to Nelson's post.

     MI>People have given examples: The Krebs cycle and the human
     MI>inner ear are IC systems (as defined by Behe and asserted by
     MI>me) for which means of gradual evolution have been given.

    It's the impedance-matching function of the mammalian *middle*
    ear that is proffered as an example. I saw someone today
    saying that it is unnecessary to mammalian hearing. This
    ignores the fact that every piece is absolutely necessary to
    the impedance-matching function. That function goes away
    (with about a 30 dB re 1 microbar decrease in sensitivity, or
    about 1 / (2^10) the original sensitivity) if any of the parts
    are removed. The human blood clotting system, one of Behe's
    examples of IC systems, is not *necessary* to circulation in
    much the same way.

    WRE>"It's the impedance-matching function of the mammalian
    WRE>*middle* ear that is proffered as an example. I saw
    WRE>someone today saying that it is unnecessary to mammalian
    WRE>hearing. This ignores the fact that every piece is
    WRE>absolutely necessary to the impedance-matching function.

    NA>This isn't true, as I have stated above, one can remove the
    NA>entire 3-bone system and I would still hear when pressure
    NA>waves hit the oval window.

    It is true. The impedance-matching function is lost if any of
    the components is removed. As I develop below, there is a
    characteristic and significant loss of sensitivity due to the
    loss of the impedance-matching function.

    My point was not that impedance-matching in the middle ear is
    *necessary* to any amount of hearing, but rather that trying
    to dismiss the impedance-matching function on the basis that
    hearing itself is not completely eliminated is a digression.
    One can simulate the loss of sensitivity involved in a gross
    manner by donning a good pair of hearing protectors. Trying
    to argue that the difference in sensitivity is not a
    functional difference seems ludicrous to me.

    I suggest that Nelson pick up any good basic text on
    audiometry, which will explain about impedance mismatches
    going from pressure changes in air to movement of the oval
    window.

    WRE>That [impedance-matching] function goes away (with about a
    WRE>30 dB re 1 microbar decrease in sensitivity, or about
    WRE>1 / (2^10) the original sensitivity) if any of the parts
    WRE>are removed.

    NA>Mere observation can tell us this is false, the one-bone
    NA>system of reptiles make them hear quite well.

    No, actual experimentation has shown this characteristic loss
    of sensitivity in terrestrial mammals to be the case. The
    topic of discussion is the function of impedance-matching in
    the mammalian middle ear. Normal hearing in another taxon is
    not responsive to the point. But Nelson's digression to
    reptilian systems does him no favors. When the middle ear of
    lizards is removed, their hearing likewise decreases by 35 to
    57 dB in sensitivity, showing the importance of
    impedance-matching to acute hearing even outside mammalian
    species. See
    <http://www.glue.umd.edu/~carr/Hearing/lecture4.html>.
    Also, Nelson's digression shoots him in the foot on another
    point, which is that such systems help establish the utility
    of simpler systems in accomplishing the same function, which
    is a point in favor of evolutionary development of the IC
    impedance-matching function of the terrestrial mammalian
    middle ear.

    I'm a co-author on research that looked at hearing sensitivity
    in white whales. Part of that paper discusses the loss of
    impedance-matching reported by others in terrestrial mammals
    placed in hyperbaric chambers. (You don't have to use surgery
    to reduce the efficacy of the middle ear's
    impedance-matching.)

    Sam Ridgway, Donald Carder, Rob Smith, Tricia Kamolnick, and
    Wesley Elsberry. 1997. First audiogram for marine mammals in
    the open ocean and at depth: Hearing and whistling by two
    white whales down to 30 atmospheres. The Journal of the
    Acoustical Society of America Volume 101, Issue 5, p. 3136.

    WRE>The human blood clotting system, one of Behe's examples of
    WRE>IC systems, is not *necessary* to circulation in much the
    WRE>same way."

    NA>Why can't any one anti-IDist be specific?

    What, specifically, does Nelson think is vague about the
    statement above? Human circulation occurs even if there is a
    problem with the human blood clotting system. Terrestrial
    mammalian hearing occurs, at reduced sensitivity, if the
    impedance-matching function of the middle ear is compromised.
    Trying to dismiss the impedance-matching function of the
    mammalian middle ear on the grounds that hearing is not
    entirely lost if it is interrupted should likewise cause ID
    proponents to reject the example of the human blood clotting
    system, which if interrupted does not mean that all
    circulation stops.

    [...]

    Here's some of what I've written on the topic before.

    [Quote]

    By <i>irreducibly complex</i> I mean a single system composed
    of several well-matched, interacting parts that contribute to
    the basic function, wherein the removal of any one of the
    parts causes the system to effectively cease functioning.

    [End Quote - MJ Behe, Darwin's Black Box, p.39]

    The mammalian middle ear has on one side the tympanum, which
    demarcates between middle and outer ear, and on the other the
    oval window of the cochlea. In between the two are three
    small bones, the malleus, incus, and stapes. These small
    bones are articulated in series. What the system of tympanum,
    malleus, incus, stapes, and oval window accomplish as a
    function is the conversion of high-volume, low pressure
    movements of sound in air at the tympanum into low-volume,
    high-pressure movements of the oval window and thus the fluid
    contents of the cochlea. In tech terms, the system is an
    impedance-matching mechanism.

    If any component of the system is removed, the
    impedance-matching properties of the system go away, and
    hearing thresholds are reduced by about 30 dB. With this
    system in place, though, hearing can be quite sensitive.

    This system appears to make a good match for Behe's definition
    of irreducible complexity. One might wonder why Behe doesn't
    use this instead of mousetraps. Well, one reason is that
    there is a fossil record showing forms intermediate between
    the reptilian ancestral condition and the mammalian anatomy,
    and irreducible complexity doesn't look so spiffy a concept if
    one has to say that IC excludes evolutionary explanation,
    except for this case that has been documented as having an
    evolutionary explanation.

    Wesley