Schutzenberger

From: Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.cls.org)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 22:47:44 EDT

    My acquaintance with the works of Marcel Schutzenberger
    (apologies for not bothering with the umlaut) is pretty
    limited. I've read various items available in English on the
    WWW, and his contributions to the mid-60's Wistar conference.
    I can readily accept that Schutzenberger is well-regarded in
    his specialty. However, this does not necessarily translate
    into good critiques of biology.

    In taking apart Wilder-Smith's use of Schutzenberger's
    statements at the Wistar conference, I ended up critiquing
    Schutzenberger as well. See
    <http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/zgists/wre/papers/ntse_wre100.html>.
    His claim that simulations of natural selection necessarily
    "jam" computers was addressed and disposed of in the
    discussion period, though Marcel declined to credit that
    another researcher might have succeeded where he had failed.
    Certainly the further work of Holland and others in
    evolutionary computation showed that Schutzenberger's
    pronouncement of failure for such computational endeavors was
    misguided. It is interesting, though, just how often
    Schutzenberger's claim from the Wistar conference discounting
    evolutionary computation shows up in anti-evolutionary
    literature as if it still had some validity.

    I'll note that there is not complete agreement on this issue.
    Murray Eden, another Wistar participant, held that genetic
    algorithms did not set aside Schutzenberger's critiques when I
    corresponded with him on the topic. We did not pursue the
    discussion beyond that, so I'm still unsure of what part of
    Schutzenberger's critique might be held to be valid despite
    the advances in evolutionary computation that have ensued.

    Wesley