irreducible simplicity

From: SZYGMUNT@EXODUS.VALPO.EDU
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 17:09:10 EDT

    Hi Brian!

    You commented on Nelson's post:

    >Nelson:
    >Atoms may or may not be IC, however, you missed the entire point of my post.
    >Atoms are not selected for, do not replicate themselves, do not undergo
    >mutations,etc. IC is a biological concept, and it describes molecular
    >machines. Apply the concept of IC to atoms is likeing applying Darwinian
    >natural selection to rocks.

    Brian:

    I'm confused. Are mousetraps irreducibly complex?

    Actually, this brings up an important point which I've
    tried to raise a couple of times. There are two separate
    aspects in IC. Irreducibility and complexity. Things can
    be irreducible but not complex. In fact, Maxwell once
    gave an argument from design based on irreducible
    simplicity. I can find the reference if anyone is interested.

    How about a mousetrap? Well, this is obviously irreducibly
    simple, at least in comparison with biological systems.

    With this is mind, let's try the argument by analogy. The hallmark
    of design is irreducible simplicity. Biological structures are
    irreducibly complex. There are no known examples where a
    designer has been able to fabricate a device that even approaches
    the complexity we find in biology. Therefore, biological structures
    are not designed.

    Brian Harper
    Associate Professor
    Mechanical Engineering
    The Ohio State University
    "One never knows, do one?"
    -- Fats Waller

    OK, I'll bite. It is perhaps tempting to equate the concept
    of a designed object with an object with "irreducible simplicity"
    by the use of something like an Occam's razor principle. In other
    words, a truly intelligent designer would only use a very simple
    design, indeed perhaps the simplest possible one to achieve the
    desired goal or function. However, assuming I understand what you
    mean by "simplicity", I would challenge this notion. The use
    of "multiple redundancy" (in spacecraft systems design, for example)
    is the work of an intelligent designer who has the foresight to
    anticipate adverse environmental conditions that might threaten
    the system's operation and to plan ahead of time for such contingencies.
    Thus, mechanical devices with such "backup systems" seem to me
    to be inherently less simple that those without such systems; yet
    they also seem to be more highly designed (although I admit it is
    hard to conceive of a quantitative index for "degree of design").

    It's not a very large leap from the human design concept of multiple
    redundancy and the systems that employ this concept to the kinds of biological
    systems that contain various "error-checking" mechanisms.

    So, I must be missing something...or perhaps it's not so
    "simple" after all. Can you help me?

    Thanks,

    Stan Zygmunt
    Dept. of Physics and Astronomy