Re: The Idea of Design

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 16:44:00 EDT

    Rwein: Behe defines design as "the purposeful arrangement of parts" (DBB
    p.193),
    and there can be no doubt that he's talking about the purpose and action of
    a conscious being. Although Stephen claims that ID does not require a
    designer, the major ID proponents make no such absurd claim, as far as I
    know. Behe has no compunction about referring to a designer. For example, he
    writes: "The function of a system is determined from the system's internal
    logic: the function is not necessarily the same thing as the purpose to
    which the designer wished to apply the system." (DBB p. 196)

    How does one determine "purposeful"? Both design and purpose suggest
    something that through equivocation can easily be confused with Design and
    Purpose.

    Rwein: Providing you take the involvement of a conscious being to be part
    of the
    definition, and I think this is implied if not explicitly stated, then the
    definition is meaningful. To demonstrate the presence of "design" in this
    sense, IDers must show the involvement of a conscious being, and I think
    this is what they attempt to do. (Unfortunately, Dembski attempts to draw a
    distinction between "design" and "intelligent agency", which only confuses
    the issue, but he fails to establish such a distinction, and I think it's
    best to ignore it. In any case, it's clear that what he's ultimately trying
    to establish is "intelligent agency", and that this corresponds to the more
    widely used term "intelligent design". Of course, this type of equivocation
    is common among IDers, and adds to the difficulty of clearly exposing their
    logical fallacies.)

    I would have to agree with you here.

    Rwein: Given this implicit definition of "design", we can and should proceed
    showing the logical fallacies in the "scientific" arguments for ID.

    Wesley Elsberry and others have done some good work here.

    Rwein: Otherwise, we're in danger of making this look like a philosophical
    argument, when it's actually an argument between science and pseudoscience.

    Indeed.

    Rwein: By the way, as you might guess from the above, I have now purchased
    a copy
    of Darwin's Black Box. I hated to contribute to the sales of ID propaganda,
    but I felt it was worthwhile if it helped me to counter that propaganda. I
    am in the process of writing my critique of Behe, which will cover some
    important points that seem to have been overlooked by other critics. ;-)

    Looking forward to more such points. So far the list has become quite
    extensive.