Johnson on Nightline and the spectre of McCarthy

From: Wesley R. Elsberry (welsberr@inia.cls.org)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 02:06:56 EDT

    Here is the closed-captioning for Johnson's final remarks, which
    gives the context of his analogy concerning an Un-American
    Activities Investigating Committee.

    [Quote]

    >> Mr. Johnson, We Have About 20 Seconds Left. Take The Last Word.

    >> Why Is This A Great International Controversy? It's On National
    Tv. There's A Media Pan Wick Editors Pounding The Table And
    Denouncing The Kansas Bard. It's Not Because They Are Worried About
    The Details Of The High Schools. It's Because They Are Worried That A
    Public Movement Is Beginning To Kbe The Dominant Religious Philosophy
    Of Our Time.

    The Established Religion Of Our Culture Which Is Scientific
    Naturalism, Materialism And Which Is Supported By This Claim That
    Nature Can Do Its Own Creating So You Don't Need God. We Want To
    Challenge That. And We Are Begin To Do So. The Group I Want To Talk
    To Is The American Civil Liberties Union, Which Is Being Used By
    People Who Are Not In Favor Of Civil Liberties Who Are Acting Like An
    Unamerican Activities Investigating Committee.

    [End Quote - Closed-captioning of final remarks by Phillip E. Johnson
    on "Nightline", 2000/07/27]

    It's obvious that closed-captioning is not a replacement for
    transcription, but the gist comes through.

    Wesley