RE: Is Darwinism Self-Refuting? (was: An intelligent discussion with Intelligent Design's designer)

From: John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 09:42:54 EDT

    A few very quick points:

    (1) From an atheistic perspective, Christianity probably is akin to
    philosophy
    (2) Philosophy is not limited to values, but rather engages deeply in
    factual issues -- these are tradtionally its primary focus, in fact (i.e.,
    what the facts, esp. the foundational truths, are and how our knowledge of
    them is justified).
    (3) Scientific validation is not generally required for a proposition to be
    true or to be rztionally believed. What philosophers call "Scientism" would
    deny this, but for very good reasons, very few philosophers (though, alas,
    very many practicing atheists) take scientism seriously. Science is
    distinct from truth, and distinct from rationality.
    (3a) I agree with you that IDers tend to be scientistic, but I see this as a
    serious philosophical mistake. You, Chris, Richard Dawkins, and others will
    disagree with me on this point, I imagine. :^>

    John