Re: [creationevolve] Re: [2debate] Evolution contributes to

From: Susan Brassfield (susanb@telepath.com)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 19:44:46 EDT

    Jeremy wrote:

    >But you are assuming that all peoples are equally evolved. You give Hitler
    >the quality of morality and a heart also ?

    yes. By his own evaluation of his situation, he was doing the right thing.
    The reason a lot of Europeans and Americans didn't move against him sooner
    was because they agreed with his opinion of Jews. But fortunately, by
    almost anybody else's (including a lot of Germans) he was doing the deeply
    immoral thing. The problem with morality and a lot of other human
    qualities is that humans--for good or ill--have enormous behavioral
    flexibility. We can do almost any thing and convince ourselves that it is
    the *right* thing to do.

    But to drift back in the direction of the topic of this list:

    Religionists are threatened by evolution--not, I think, because it turns
    Genesis into a metaphor--but because that means that we didn't have our
    morality handed to us from on high. It evolved. They have a fantasy of a
    pristine, perfect morality somewhere that we mere humans are to try to
    emulate. Also, if you catch someone not emulating that perfect morality,
    you can cheerfully smash them, knowing that you are doing the right thing.
    Just helping God out a bit. The problem is, as I pointed out at the
    beginning of this post, if such a perfect morality existed there would be
    no way to figure out what it is.

    In reality evolution doesn't have anything at all to do with morality any
    more than electrical engineering does. The Pope (a famous atheist!)
    believes evolution to be true and has no conflict because he believes that
    God created the human soul and handed out the perfect, pristine morality at
    that time (and free will so we can either choose to be bad or to be saved
    by Christ if we want to). Only our bodies evolved.

    Susan