Re: Randomness and complex organization via evolution

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 13:03:36 EDT

    >Chris:
    >>Since the person who makes the claims of free will (especially
    >>*indeterministic* free will) and design is making positive claims, the
    >>burden of proof naturally rests with that person.
    >
    >>I do not deny that there is free will. All I deny is that there is
    >>*indeterministic* free will.
    >
    >Bertvan:
    >Hi Chris,
    >I've been told that since I have no desire to change anyone's beliefs, I have
    >no "burden of proof".

    no, you've been told that if you make outrageous claims it's up to you to
    prove them. You say that inanimate objects have free will. Prove it. Make
    us believe that it corresponds with reality and not your imagination.

    >I merely argue for the right of
    >anyone to express contrary beliefs, without fear of ridicule or condemnation.
    > If we all express our views, it helps others clarify their own beliefs.

    well, your work is done. Everyone has a right to express "contrary
    beliefs." That's what lists like this are for. However, if your ideas
    cannot be demonstrated to match reality, don't expect to live without fear
    of ridicule or condemnation. Don't expect to state your ideas and not have
    someone else say "that's not true and this is why." And do expect that if
    you say "that's not true" you will be asked to add the second part of the
    statement "and this is why."

    Susan

    The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our
    actions. Our inner balance and even our very existence depend on it. Only
    morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to life.
    --Albert Einstein

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/