Re: on atheistic principles? (was macroevolution or macromutations? (was ID) 1/2)

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 10:44:38 EDT

    >TH>That's vacously true because atheism doesn't claim to address
    >>questions of morality. By analogy, you might as well argue that
    >>the scientist would have no reason *within his/her science*,
    >>for not being immoral.
    >
    >If Ted is an atheist, then this is a damaging admission which his fellow
    >atheists might not agree with?
    >
    >Because it would mean that atheism is not a complete worldview, like
    >Christian theism is, and indeed atheism would be parasitic on other
    >worldviews, like Christianity:

    atheism is not a "worldview." It is nonbelief in one single thing.

    You seem to be assuming that atheism and Christianity are the only moral
    alternatives. Obviously that is not the case. My own morality is heavily
    influenced by the Baha'is, Buddhism, and Wicca. The truth is, that all of
    the key principles of Christianity are found in nearly every human
    religion. That is because they are *human* moral principles and humans
    merely attribute them to the religion at hand.

    Susan

    The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our
    actions. Our inner balance and even our very existence depend on it. Only
    morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to life.
    --Albert Einstein

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/