Re: on atheistic principles? (was macroevolution or macromutations? (was ID) 1/2)

From: Tedd Hadley (hadley@reliant.yxi.com)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 17:18:45 EDT

    "Stephen E. Jones" writes
      in message <200007032243.GAA24414@filk.iinet.net.au>:

     <snip>
    > An atheist, especially one brought up in a Christian home (as many were),
    > might already be aware (as I wasn't) that some things are immoral and
    > avoid doing them by virtue of his/her upbringing. But the atheist would
    > have no reason *within his/her atheism*, for not being immoral.
    > Any reasons he/she had for not being immoral would be found
    > *outside* his/her atheism.

       That's vacously true because atheism doesn't claim to address
       questions of morality. By analogy, you might as well argue that
       the scientist would have no reason *within his/her science*,
       for not being immoral.

       Since atheism can only be one small part of a person's beliefs,
       morals come from other areas -- enlightened self-interest mostly
       I find.