Re: Yahoo! News Story - Biology Textbooks Draw Complaints

From: billwald@juno.com
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 17:18:54 EDT

    >WASHINGTON (AP) - If today's students want to understand how scientists
    mapped the >human genetic code, they won't get much help from their high
    school textbooks, a group >of scientists and educators said Tuesday.

    Do high school kids have a need to know about DNA sequencing? They have a
    need to know how to do arithmatic, read, write, comprehend what they
    read, and come to rational conclusions. They need to know some basic
    history and they are not being taught any of this stuff.

    The "information revolution" is the biggest scam of the 20/21 cent. The
    biggest information revolution in history was free public libraries. 90%
    of the library system is used for entertainment and so is 90% of on line
    computer time. What good is written information to people who can't read,
    write, or think?

    I am convinced the push to give "poor" people web access is nothing more
    than a method of getting rid of obsolete chips and boards at public
    expense.

    Yesterday a radio guru was complaining that a higher percentage of "poor"
    children have TV sets and electronic games in their bedrooms than do rich
    kids, claiming that TV was causing poverty. Anyone think the average poor
    kid will use his govt sponsored computer to learn about DNA sequencing?

    If anything, the purpose of giving poor kids web access is to keep them
    stupid. After all, until it becomes cost effective to build machines to
    flip and peddle grease burgers we will need uneducated people to do our
    grunt work. Can't have a stable country with PhDs driving garbage trucks.

    billwald@juno.com
    Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.