Re: Two alternatives to theistic design theory, etc.

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 18:23:45 EDT

    From: Howard J. Van Till <hvantill@novagate.com>

    >Richard Wein commented:
    >
    >> I would say that any rational, well-informed person, whether atheist *or*
    >> theist, has no choice but to believe in evolution.
    >
    >I think we agree here, but I would word it differently. I would say that
    any
    >rational and well-informed person, whether atheist or theist, should find
    >the scientific concept of evolutionary development to be empirically
    >warranted and a highly credible theme of the formational history of the
    >universe.
    >
    >He also went on to assert:
    >
    >> Most atheists
    >> become atheists as a result (in part) of accepting evolution; not
    >> the other way around.
    >
    >I sincerely doubt this, but I'm willing to learn something. From what
    >responsible survey does this claim come? Where and when were the results
    >published?

    The first part of my sentence was, I freely admit, an assumption based on my
    own personal experience. I find it hard to imagine being an intellectually
    fulfilled atheist without an explanation of the origin of complexity in
    life, and I crave intellectual fulfillment. I may be mistaken in assuming a
    similar craving among other atheists.

    But I would be extremely surprised to discover that the last part of my
    sentence was wrong. I sincerely doubt that most atheists accept evolution
    *because* of their atheism. The fact that both theists and atheists accept
    evolution suggests that the reasons for this acceptance are usually not
    theological.

    Richard Wein (Tich)