Re: Question about "Redesigning Science"

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 15:04:57 EDT

    Wesley R. Elsberry wrote:

    >To: William A. Dembski
    >
    >Last September, you indicated that you were working on a book
    >that would give your in-principle refutation of natural selection
    >as a possible source of events with CSI.

    Wesley, since you've raised this subject again, I'd like to reiterate my
    view that CSI, as Dembski defines it, has not been shown to exist in nature.

    Since we last discussed the subject, I've had it confirmed to me that
    Dembski, in his book "Intelligent Design", defines the test for CSI as:

         -log2 P(E) > 500

    where E is a specified event. (I haven't read the book myself, but this
    is basically the same as the definition Dembski gives in an on-line
    article.)

    This means that the test for CSI is the same as the test for design as
    defined in his earlier book "The Design Inference", namely:

         P(E) < 1/2 X 10^150

    But no-one to my knowledge has ever succeeded in showing that the
    probability of a specified event in nature is this small.

    I've seen some calculations by IDers which claim to calculate the
    probability, for example, of a given protein forming from a number of amino
    acids. But they assume that the amino acids are selected as i.i.d.
    (identical independently distributed) random variables. Of course, this
    assumption is totally unrealistic, because evolution by random mutation and
    natural selection would not produce such a probability distribution (the
    amino acids are *not* independent).

    So the demand we should be making of Dembski is not "show that natural
    selection can't produce CSI", but "show that CSI actually exists in nature".

    Richard Wein (Tich)