Re: Various (IDC being pushed, Atheist anti-evolutionists, etc)

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 08:47:26 EDT

    Reflectorites

    I am trying to clear my email before my exam next week.
    Therefore, after this I won't be able to respond for a
    week or so.

    Subject: Re: IDC being pushed

    On Fri, 9 Jun 2000 22:37:33 -0500 (CDT), Wesley R. Elsberry wrote:

    [...]

    >WE>I use the "IDC" term based upon the evidence, not "in spite of"
    >>the evidence. Stephen is welcome to differ in his interpretation.
    >>As he notes, convincing the ideologically committed is
    >>unnecessary.

    >SJ>There is no need for "interpretation" in this case. The plain
    >>fact is that Todd Moody is an *agnostic* professor of
    >>philosophy and a valued member of the ID movement. Here is the
    >>"evidence" again:

    [...]

    WE>The existence of fellow-travelers (I figure that phrase is
    >less objectionable than the similar and possibly more
    >applicable phrase "useful idiots") like Moody ...

    This sort of language by Wesley, against a person who he
    presumably knows almost nothing about, only shows Wesley's
    prejudice. The fact is that Todd Moody *is* a philosophy
    professor and an agnostic and yet a member of the ID
    movement, and no amount of rhetoric or abuse will change
    that.

    WE>...doesn't set
    >aside the fact that the IDC movement is primarily populated by
    >people whose religion underlies their anti-evolutionary
    >activity and which finds its largest base of support among
    >theistic anti-evolutionists.

    No one has ever denied that the ID "movement is primarily
    populated" in fact by white, male, Protestant Christians
    who would designate themselves as some form of *creationist*.

    But if the ID movement is only *primarily* populated by"
    same, then it is incorrect to call it "Intelligent Design
    *Creationism*".

    WE>The IDC concepts are constructed
    >with regard to the legal problems encountered by YEC
    >activists.

    As for the "YEC activists" part, the fact is that among the ID leadership
    group (i.e. Johnson, Behe, Dembski, Nelson and Wells), there is only one
    "YEC"(Nelson). The rest are OECs of some sort. And among the rest of
    the ID movement, it is my impression that the majority are old-Earth
    creationists. IMHO IDers primary `natural constituency' is not YECs (they
    have their own movement) but OEC/Progressive Creationists and
    moderate Theistic Evolutionists.

    And as for the "legal problems" part, the fact that the USA Constitution
    prohibits the establishment of a religion, and this has been held to apply to
    those creationist views that are clearly based on the Bible (like a 6,000
    year-old-Earth and Flood geology), is only of marginal relevance to the ID
    movement which holds a generic, not specifically religious, position on
    intelligent design based on *nature* which is independent of the Bible.

    For example, ID takes no position on who the Designer is, how old the
    Earth is, or even on the common ancestry of man from apes (Mike Behe
    believes in that, as I do).

    If ID gets into court is going to be pretty hard for the NCSE or ACLU or
    the NAS, to make the charge that ID is *Biblical* creationism.

    And even the Supreme Court would balk at try to stretch the
    `establishment of religion' prohibition to apply to a philosophical theism.
    That would so *obviously* be an entrenchment of atheism, that there
    would be a voter revolution and the US Constitution would probably get
    amended to make it clear what the founding fathers obviously meant, ie.
    there was to be no particular religion to be established as a State church, as
    in Europe.

    WE>The property of "traveling light" with regard to
    >theology stems from a purposeful attempt to evade one of the
    >prongs of the Lemon test.

    Since "the Lemon test" is about *legislative statutes*:

    "In Edwards the Supreme Court applied what it calls its three-pronged
    Lemon test (first announced in the 1971 decision in Lemon v. Kurtzman,
    403 U.S. 602). This test says that a challenged statute comports with the
    First Amendment's Establishment Clause only if (1) the legislature had a
    secular purpose; (2) the statute's principal effect is not to advance or inhibit
    religion; and (3) the statute does not excessively entangle government with
    religion." (Johnson P.E., "Darwin on Trial," 1993, pp.171-172)

    it has no relevance whatsoever to ID, because ID is not contemplating
    enacting any statutes!

    I think Wesley is confusing (or trying to confuse) ID with "scientific
    creationism", which adopted the tactic of downplaying the *obvious* Bible
    base to their young-Earth/Flood geology theories:

    "The anti-evolution statutes of the 1920s were not enforced, but textbook
    publishers tended to say as little as possible about evolution to avoid
    controversy. The Supreme Court eventually held the statutes
    unconstitutional in 1968, but by then the fundamentalists had changed their
    objective. Creation research institutes were founded, and books began to
    appear which attacked the orthodox interpretation of the scientific evidence
    and argued that the geological and fossil record could be harmonized with
    the Biblical account. None of this literature was taken seriously by the
    scientific establishment or the mass media, but the creation-scientists
    themselves became increasingly confident that they had a scientific case to
    make. They also began to see that it was possible to turn the principles of
    liberal constitutional law to their advantage by claiming a right to debate
    evolutionists on equal terms in school science classes. Their goal was no
    longer to suppress the teaching of evolution, but to get a fair hearing for
    their own viewpoint. If there is a case to be made for both sides of a
    scientific controversy, why should public school students, for example, hear
    only one side? Creation-scientists emphasized that they wanted to present
    only the scientific arguments in the schools; the Bible itself was not to be
    taught." (Johnson P.E., "Darwin on Trial," 1993, pp.6-7)

    But since ID is *not* based on the Bible, but on the evidence for design in
    *nature* (and design arguments from nature have been around since at
    least the ancient Greeks), there is no real comparison between the two.

    WE>While these demographics apply to
    >ID proponents, I feel no problem at all in using the IDC
    >label to characterize them.

    This is a straight-out fallacy. That a high proportion of IDers may be
    creationists, does not mean that the ID movement itself is therefore
    "creationism", any more than that a high proportion of Republicans might
    be creationists makes the GOP creationist.

    What would make the ID movement "creationism" is if it *restricted its
    membership* (formally or informally) to creationists. But in fact there
    is nothing to stop even *non-theists* being members of the ID movement,
    and in fact some are-for example Todd Moody.

    WE>Get back to me.

    I am not overly concerned to "get back"' to Wesley. As I have said before,
    it is my personal position that the ID movement should not waste too
    much effort trying to convince the ~10% like Wesley who are
    philosophically opposed to design and therefore could not accept it, even
    if it was staring them in the face (which it is). A much more fruitful field
    for the ID movement is the ~90% who already believe in some form of
    design.

    If Wesley wants to believe that the ID movement is really the "IDC"
    movement, then that is his problem! Those who make that claim are using
    the same discredited `guilt by association' tactics that the McCarthyists
    used in the 1950's. But the general public today is much more
    sophisticated, and I am confident it will eventually backfire on those using
    it. The existence of Todd Moody - an *agnostic* professor of philosophy -
    alone will guarantee that.

    WE>...when the theistic anti-evolutionist proportion of the ID crowd
    >drops below 50%.

    I note the shifting of Wesley's argument from "creationist" now to "anti-
    evolutionist". So perhaps it should now be "IDA-E"? :-).

    But Wesley would be wrong even in that - Todd Moody is also an
    *evolutionist*! There is in fact nothing to stop even evolutionists being
    members of the ID movement, and some are. The only evolutionists who
    would not be welcome in the ID movement are those who would deny that
    design is, at least in principle, *empirically detectable*.

    That is why *theistic* evolutionist who deny that design is empirically
    detectable would not be welcome within ID, and *agnostic* evolutionists
    who do not at least rule out that design might be empirically detectable
    are. It might even be that extreme YECs who claim that we cannot know
    anything about how God created from nature, but only from Scripture,
    would be equally unwelcome within ID.

    This alone shows that ID is primarily a *scientific* movement, not a
    religious or philosophical movement which makes no testable empirical
    claims about the real world.

    Re: Atheist anti-evolutionists

    On Fri, 9 Jun 2000 09:52:32 -0500 (CDT), Wesley R. Elsberry wrote:

    [...]

    >WE>Just because Susan didn't mention Raelianism doesn't mean that
    >>it doesn't exist.
    >
    >SJ>I note that Wesley also does not "show what else an atheist can
    >>believe in except some form of evolution"!
    >
    >>Thus Wesley as well, confirms my point that "atheists have no
    >>option but to believe in some form of evolution":

    [...]

    WE><http://www.rael.org/int/english/philosophy/philosophy.html>
    >
    >Raelians are anti-evolutionists, but not theists. The set of
    >atheist anti-evolutionist Raelians is non-empty. Stephen's
    >assertion is counter-factual.

    Thanks to Wesley for the above URL. He may have the advantage here
    because I know very little about "Raelians".

    But maybe Wesley should check the web page he posted the link to again?
    Because: 1) it does not say that the Raelians are atheists; and 2) it states
    only that the Raelians "came from another solar system and created all life
    on earth"-it does not explain how the Raelians themselves originated in the
    first place:

    The Raelian Philosophy

    "We came from another solar system and created all life on earth
    scientifically, including man in our image....You mistook us for gods...

    We loved you as our own children and sent you wisdom through the
    Prophets...You distorted our teaching and used it to fight...

    Now that you can understand who we are, we would like to establish
    contact at an official embassy."

    - Quote from the Elohim to humanity, 13 Dec 1973

    Welcome to the Philosophy page, a subsection of the Raelian Revolution
    Website. As well as the option of a Quick Summary, from the horizontal
    bar above, you can also access a fuller account of The Message addressed
    to humanity by the Elohim, a review of the social Values which the
    Elohim advise humanity to live by in order to create a world of love,
    creativity and fulfillment, and an explanation of the Keys necessary to
    unlock human potential.

    Ultimately there are only three possibilities. They Raelians can either
    claim that:

    1. One or all of them did not originate at all but had always existed - this
    would effectively make them god(s) and Raelianism a form of theism;

    2. They were ultimately originated by a personal being (or beings) who
    had always existed - this would make Raelianism a form of creationism;

    3. They were ultimately originated by an impersonal natural process - this
    would make Raelianism a form of evolutionism.

    Raelianism may hold some combinations of the above (like 1. & 2; or 2. & 3);
    but *ultimately* it has to be one of 1-3.

    And of the three possibilities, 1. and 2. are not atheistic. That leaves 3., a
    form of evolutionism, as the only atheistic possibility!.

    Raelianism in fact seems to be a religious form of Directed Panspermia,
    and thus confirms what Phil Johnson says of Directed Panspermia on one
    of his tapes: "it is the scientific materialist's version of supernatural
    creation"!

    "I have quoted some voices of dissent coming from biologists in eminent
    academic positions. There have been many others, just as critical of the
    orthodox doctrine, though not always as outspoken - and their number is
    steadily growing. Although these criticisms have made numerous breaches
    in the walls, the citadel still stands - mainly, as said before, because nobody
    has a satisfactory alternative to offer. The history of science shows that a
    well-established theory can take a lot of battering and get itself into a
    tangle of contradictions - the fourth phase of 'Crisis and Doubt' in the
    historic cycle and yet still be upheld by the establishment until a
    breakthrough occurs, initiating a new departure, and the start of a new
    cycle. But that event is not yet in sight. In the meantime, the educated
    public continues to believe that Darwin has provided all the relevant
    answers by the magic formula of random mutation plus natural selection -
    quite unaware of the fact that random mutations turned out to be irrelevant
    and natural selection a tautology." (Koestler A., "Janus: A Summing Up",
    Picador: London, 1983, pp.184-185)