Re: macroevolution or macromutations? (was ID) 1/2

From: Cliff Lundberg (cliff@cab.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 05:43:17 EDT

    Stephen E. Jones wrote:

    >This will be my last post for a while (what's that cheering? :-)).
    >I have exams in a week!

    Yeah, but what happens after that?

    >The point is that one can be "agnostic" about the Designer. One could
    >believe the Designer to be "deistic", theistic, polytheistic, pantheistic, or
    >just leave the identity of the Designer unresolved "agnostic". Fred Hoyle's
    >"intelligent universe" (and maybe Lovelock's Gaia hypothesis) would
    >probably be acceptable under ID.

    If all those things are acceptable under ID, maybe my stuff is too.
    Maybe the designer is an agnostic.

    >Since we are talking about the kind of evidence that *I* could provide, on
    >this List, this just again goes to show that evolutionists request for
    >"evidence for ID" is meaningless. It is like a creationist saying he would
    >believe in evolution if an evolutionist would bring Charles Darwin back
    >from the dead, or build a time machine and take the creationist back to
    >witness the origin of life or a major macroevolutionary transition.

    The time machine idea seems completely reasonable. I would think
    a creationist would have to become a theistic evolutionist if he were
    able to witness the process. Or if he became so convinced through
    analysis of the evidence we have of the past.

    >I admire Cliff's honesty and self-awareness here. He at least acknowledges
    >his prior "built-in prejudice in favor of naturalistic explanation". But then
    >he should also acknowledge that his repeated requests that I provide
    >evidence for ID is therefore meaningless.

    Not at all; I'm simply curious about what you would have to say, other
    than railing against the mere asking of the question.

    >The question Cliff might ask himself is, how could his position ever be
    >falsified? That is, if design was real, how would Cliff ever know it?

    There's no design without a designer. The existence of the designer is
    what this is all about. Well, better minds than ours have failed to prove
    that.

    >CL>I like to puzzle out
    >>particulars; the one big all-inclusive answer is boring to me.
    >
    >There is no reason why accepting "one big all-inclusive answer" should be
    >"boring". If God created the raw materials of the universe and then
    >progressively modified them over 15 billion years (which is what I believe)
    >the task of trying to find out how He did it anything but "boring"!

    How would this puzzling out of particulars differ from they way I would
    puzzle out the particulars of past events?

    >CL>How about 'idealist-naturalist?' You do realize that idealism is not the
    >>exclusive property of theism or 'designerism'? A philosophical idealist
    >>may simply be a person who thinks ideas and values and words are more
    >>interesting and important than physics and chemistry. There's no necessary
    >>connection to ID or theism.
    >
    >I deliberately add "materialist" for *precisely* that very reason - that there

    >is an "idealist-naturalist" position which I might have no problem with.
    >Arthur Koestler, for example his essay "An Intimate Dialogue" in Koestler
    >A., "Kaleidoscope," 1981, was probably an idealist-naturalist and he was
    >antimaterialist/anti-Darwinist for that reason.
    >
    >So is Cliff claiming to be an "Idealist-naturalist"? If so I would be
    >interested in Cliff stating briefly what he sees as the main tenets of the
    >"idealist-naturalist" position and the main difference between it and that of
    >materialist-naturalists.

    I proposed the term as a counter to the false connotations of the
    'materialist-naturalist' term. An idealist-naturalist would be a naturalist
    who is interested not in the substance of the universe, but in the forms,
    the logic, the ideas and values we deal with. I think this describes most
    naturalists. As for 'materialist-naturalists', I leave it for those who use the
    term to define it.

    >I have in the past made it clear (as does Johnson) that "materialism" in this
    >sense is the claim that "matter is all there is".

    There are no values, no ideas, no good or evil, no dreams? Who thinks
    that?

    >"Naturalism and materialism mean essentially the same thing for present
    >purposes, and so I use the terms interchangeably. Naturalism means that
    >nature is all there is; materialism means that matter (i.e., the fundamental
    >particles that make up both matter and energy) is all there is. Because
    >evolutionary naturalists insist that nature is made up of those particles,
    >there is no difference between naturalism and materialism. In other
    >contexts, however, the terms may have different meanings. Materialism
    >sometimes used to mean greedy for material possessions, as in "he who
    >dies with the most toys wins." Naturalism also has quite different meanings
    >in other contexts, such art and literary criticism. These other meanings are
    >irrelevant for our purposes." (Johnson P.E., "Defeating Darwinism by
    >Opening Minds", 1997, pp.15-16)

    If Johnson means this, that naturalism and materialism are the same, then
    why does he use the controversial latter term at all?

    >Here I must disagree. I try to use mainstream terms that *accurately*
    >describe a position. For example I accurately distinguished between
    >"materialist-naturalist" and "idealist-naturalist". If Cliff claims
    >to be an "idealist-naturalist", and it fits the mainstream defintion
    >of same, then I will start calling his position by that term.

    It would be interesting if a term I just invented had a mainstream
    definition.

    >Maybe Cliff has been reading too much *materialist* rewriting of history!
    >:-) Most of the leading scientists of the 16-19th centuries were devout
    >Christians (even Gallileo still after his recantation), and they wrote books
    >on Christian topics also. One of these, Pascal's Pensees is a Christian
    >classic.

    They drew heavily upon Aristotle's philosophy, even as they were improving
    on his facts.

    >But the reverse doesn't necessarily apply. While a Designer could work
    >either supernaturally and/or naturally, rapidly and/or slowly, the same
    >is not true of a `blind watchmaker'. *All* naturalistic theories need
    >the `blind watchmaker' to build complex designs, and the latter can only,
    >work slowly, step-by-tiny step.

    Completely ignoring symbiosis theory.

    >I have answered this before. It is IMHO just `handwaving' by Cliff. There
    >are several major problems with the serial endosymbiotic theory (SET) that
    >I have outlined, and even if it were true, it would not explain the design
    >features of the "symbionts".

    Those evolved separately, perhaps through other levels of symbiosis.

    >And it would not explain the design features *above* the level of the
    >eukaryotic cell.

    As I suggested recently, symbiosis could work at every level.

    >Besides, no SET advocate AFAIK claims it happened in "a leap".

    I don't see how genomic integration could be gradual. It wouldn't
    work if the genetic material were divided.

    >If this type of explanation were true, it would completely *gut* Cliff's own
    >"symbionts" theory. Why bother with "symbionts"? Just answer every hard
    >question with "In the natural world things happen when they happen"!

    The point is that the timing is not important, what's important is what
    happened, not precisely when it happened.

    >The fact is that "evolutionary events" *had* to happen in the right order,
    >at the right time, to the right organisms, or they would be worse than
    >useless.

    You're ignoring the astronomical number of mutations that were
    unsuccessful, that happened in the wrong order, at the wrong time,
    to the wrong organisms, that were indeed worse than useless.

    >My point is that "Darwin and Dawkins" are *right* - if intelligent design is
    >ruled out. IOW, if I was a naturalistic evolutionist, I would be a fairly
    >strict Neo-Darwinist, like Dawkins. It is the *only* viable overall position,
    >assuming there is no God.

    How can you rule out symbiosis, and what is the connection to God?
    It's just an historical mechanical question, how did it happen?

    >Cliff might think they are "wrong" but he has no real consistent
    >designbuilding alternative to put in its place. SET theory might explain the
    >origin of mitochondria and chloroplasts in the eukaryotic cell as relics of
    >freeliving prokaryotes, but even then it is only half an explanation.

    Again, the point is that here is a mechanism, a wrinkle not envisioned
    by Darwin, one which could function at various levels.

    >It does not explain the origin of the prokaryotic symbionts themselves,
    >which also have *fantastic* design features like DNA-mRNA transcription,
    >mRNA-protein translation via ribosomes, and the Golgi apparatus, which is
    >just *mind-blowing*:

    Right, how can you envision this complex arising step-by-step?

    >Big symbionts invited little symbionts
    > into their cytoplasm to bite 'em,
    >and little symbionts invited littler symbionts,
    > and so ad infinitum! :-)

    Big symbionts would be complexes built up from smaller ones.

    >but it just gets worse. The idea that the mindless accidental actions of
    >bacteria eating each other over 1 billion years, just happened to assemble
    >the right components, to build all multicellular plants, fungi and animals for

    >the next 2 billion years, with cellular machinery that is so ingeniously
    >complex, that it makes Captain Kirk's Starship Enterprise look like a balsa
    >wood glider, is simply, in Denton's words, "an affront to reason"!

    Good ol' personal incredulity. You can't understand it, therefore it must
    be supernatural. Religion can be quite egotistic.

    --Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  415-648-0208  ~  cliff@cab.com