Re: ID's exciting, comprehensive, publicly funded scientific research program for the 21st century! (was ID)

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 19:56:59 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Tue, 6 Jun 2000 09:44:56 -0700, billwald@juno.com wrote:

    [...]

    >SJ>to be a split in science, with funding being taken off materialists and
    >>granted to IDers.

    BW>Funding to do what? Do a computer search of junk DNA to see if somehow
    >the first 3 chapters of Genesis is encoded?

    [...]

    I thank Bill for this question, which gives me the opportunity to lay out
    what I see as ID's exciting, comprehensive, publicly funded scientific
    research program for the 21st century! I would state however that I am not
    among the leadership of the ID movement, so the above is just my personal
    vision for the ID movement:

    Materialistic-naturalistic science's (NS) basic assumption is that prior to the
    advent of humans there were only unintelligent causes.

    ID's basic assumption is that prior to the advent of humans: 1) there were
    *both* unintelligent and intelligent causes; and 2) the latter are, at least
    in principle, empirically detectable.

    Therefore, ID's research program will be to look for emprical evidence of
    intelligent causation prior to ~100 kya. The obvious place to look is where
    NS is having major problems with explaining the evidence.

    So *positively* ID's research program will include:

    1. The origin of the universe-the evidence of `fine-tuning'. ID will seek to
    develop a testable model of the origin of the universe by intelligent cause
    (e.g. a single Intelligent Designer) that will fit all the known facts, and
    resolve all known problems, without having to resort to the infinite number
    of universes or shifting the problem elsewhere as NS does.

    2. The origin of life. ID will seek to develop a testable model for the origin
    of life on Earth by intelligent cause (e.g. a single Intelligent Designer) that
    will fit all the known facts, and resolve all known problems, without having
    to resort to origin of life simulations that illegitimately smuggle in
    intelligent causes as NS does.

    3. The origin of the genetic code. ID will seek to develop a testable model
    for the origin of the genetic code by intelligent cause (e.g. a single
    Intelligent Designer) that will fit all the known facts, and resolve all known
    problems, which NS has not done.

    4. The origin of the complex biomolecular systems. ID will seek to develop
    a testable model for the origin of complex molecular systems by intelligent
    cause (e.g. a single Intelligent Designer) that will fit all the known facts,
    and resolve all known problems, which NS has not done. Particular
    attention will be paid to complex systems where all the components have to
    be in place simultaneously, to work properly at all (i.e. irreducibly complex
    systems).

    5. The origin of new designs. ID will seek to develop a testable model for
    the origin of the new designs by intelligent cause (e.g. a single Intelligent
    Designer) that will fit all the known facts, and resolve all known problems,
    which NS has not done.

    6. The origin of human consciousness. ID will seek to develop a testable
    model for the origin of human consciousness by intelligent cause (e.g. a
    single Intelligent Designer) that will fit all the known facts, and resolve all
    known problems, which NS has not done.

    In addition, since NS claims that only unintelligent causes produced all the
    evidence for design in: a) the universe, and b) life; a major part of
    ID's research program will be to *negatively*:

    7. demonstrate the inadequacy of unintelligent causes alone in explaining
    1-6 above.

    In particular, since Darwinism claims that its mechanism of random
    variation and cumulative natural selection is the only possible NS
    explanation, even in principle, of how life's complex designs could arise,
    without the intervention of an Intelligent Designer; part of ID's research
    program will also include:

    8. showing that the Darwinists mechanisms: a) could not realistically; or
    at least b) did not actually; account for items 1-6.

    In choosing between the two models (NS or ID), the test should be which
    model can actually explain the most data with the fewest assumptions.
    Even if a fully naturalistic explanation is eventually supplied for any of
    items 1-6, the ID explanation should still be preferred if it makes fewer
    assumptions. For example, a NS explanation of the fine tuning of this
    one universe, by the postulation of an infinite number of unobservable
    universes, is less preferable to the simpler hypothesis that a single
    intelligent agency (i.e. an Intelligent Designer) was the cause.

    In the unlikely event of a tie, the tie-breaker would be which model
    could explain more of the items 1-6 by an overall simpler explanation.
    For example, if Darwinian mechanisms could explain 5., but other
    explanations were needed for 1-4, and 6, and ID could explain all of
    1-6 by the one comprehensive explanatory principle, namely intelligent
    causation, then ID's explanation for 5. should be accepted.

    I would point out that NS is on a hiding to nothing on this. No materialist
    would presumably dispute that intelligent causes can usually do more and
    faster, than what unintelligent causes can do, *other things being equal*.
    That is in fact the basic assumption behind the eugenics/genetic engineering
    movement, that intelligent humans take control of too-slow/too weak
    unintelligent evolution.

    Therefore, I presume that no materialist would deny that if intelligent
    agency is admitted into science as an explanatory principle, that all the
    intractable problems above could all be solved in a way that fits all the facts
    and is testable, as far as it is possible to test unique events in the far
    distant past.

    In fact ID is routinely used in NS now. Apart from archaeology and
    SETI, Darwin himself appealed to ID (he wrongly called it "Artificial
    Selection" when it was *real* selection, ie. *Intelligent* Selection) to
    support his theory of so-called "Natural (i.e. *Unintelligent*)
    Selection". Moreover, as Thaxton, et al. have pointed out, the common
    factor behind all the successful origin of life simulations has been the
    illegitimate interference of the investigator

            "Over the years a slowly emerging line or boundary has
            appeared which shows observationally the limits of what can be
            expected from matter and energy left to themselves, and what
            can be accomplished only through what Michael Polanyi has
            called "a profoundly informative intervention.". When it is
            acknowledged that most so-called prebiotic simulation
            experiments actually owe their success to the crucial but
            *illegitimate* role of the investigator, a new and fresh phase of
            the experimental approach to life's origin can then be entered.
            Until then however, the literature of chemical evolution will
            probably continue to be dominated by reports of experiments in
            which the investigator, like a metabolizing Maxwell Demon,
            will have performed work on the system through intelligent,
            exogenous intervention. Such work establishes experimental
            boundary conditions, and imposes intelligent influence/control
            over a supposedly "prebiotic" earth. As long as this informative
            interference of the investigator is ignored, the illusion of
            prebiotic simulation will be fostered. We would predict that this
            practice will prove to be a barrier to solving the mystery of life's
            origin." (Thaxton C.B., Bradley W.L. & Olsen R.L., "The
            Mystery of Life's Origin," [1984], 1992, p.185. Emphasis in
            original.)

    In fact in my final Biology lab, we simulated natural selection by us
    humans intelligently selecting out green and yellow beads from a large
    number of little containers. So there can be no viable argument against
    intelligent selection being used by ID in origin of life biology
    experiments, when it is already used routinely (but illegitimately) in
    NS.

    As ID steadily solves all the above problems, fitting all the known facts,
    with fewer assumptions, NS will be forced to drop all pretense at scientific
    objectivity and assert as its last stand an absolutist, dogmatic atheism,
    which will be revealed to be based not on science but the *personal
    philosophy* of the scientists. Even MN (Methodological Naturalism) will
    look foolish-why keep assuming there was no intelligent cause, when
    that assumption is so unfruitful in items 1-6, while the assumption of
    intelligent cause works so well? If science is about what works, then
    ID will work, and *better*!

    I have no doubt that this will happen. NS in items 1-6 is showing all the
    signs of a degenerate research program, unable to solve the problems
    (note Thaxton, et al's prediction above was made in 1984 and has
    held true), but like the proverbial dog in the manger, fiercely determined
    to stop ID solving them.

    But this is a lost cause by NS. If it cannot solve these problems then
    inevitably the granting agencies are going to divert funding elsewhere.
    And because ID *can* solve these problems, it *will* steadily solve them,
    even if it does so with private funding. Thus ID will continue to gain
    ground in items 1-6, while NS will still, which is effectively to lose
    ground.

    Therefore, sooner of later the following situation will arise:

    "`The Creation Hypothesis' received a remarkably respectful review in
    Creation/Evolution, a strongly anticreationist journal. Reviewer Arthur
    Shapiro, professor of zoology at the Davis campus of the University of
    California, concluded with this paragraph:

            `I can see Science in the year 2000 running a major feature article
            on the spread of theistic science as a parallel scientific culture. I can
            see interviews with the leading figures in history and philosophy of
            science about how and why this happened. ... If they are
            successful, the day will come when the editorial board of Science
            will convene in emergency session to decide what to do about a
            paper which is of the highest quality and utterly unexceptionable,
            of great and broad interest, and which proceeds from the prior
            assumption of intelligent design. For a preview of that crisis,
            you should read this book. Of course, if you are smug enough to
            think "theistic science" is an oxymoron, you won't.'

    (Johnson P.E., "Reason in the Balance," 1995, p.239).

    The above prediction for "the year 2000" might be wrong on the
    exact timetable, but it is starting to happen.

    If the NS establishment continues to be intransigent and rejects ID
    explanations, even when they are "of the highest quality and utterly
    unexceptionable," and moreover can solve problems 1-6 that are
    intractable for NS, then ID, which has a potential majority public s
    upport of the order of 10:1, will probably simply go over the heads of
    the NS elite and request that public science funding be redirected to it.
    I hope this will not have to happen.

    But I repeat again that these are my views alone, and not necessarily those
    of the ID leadership, or even of the ID movement. I take full responsibility
    for them.

    Once again I thank Bill for his question, which has given me the opportunity
    to state my personal vision as to what I see as ID's exciting, comprehensive,
    and publicly funded scientific research program for the 21st century!

    "The first assumption was that non-living things gave rise to living
    material. This is still just an assumption. It is conceivable that living
    material might have suddenly appeared on this world in some peculiar
    manner, say from another planet, but this then raises the question,
    "Where did life originate on that planet?" We could say that life has
    always existed, but such an explanation is not a very satisfactory one.
    Instead, the explanation that nonliving things could have given rise to
    complex systems having the properties of living things is generally
    more acceptable to most scientists. There is, however, little evidence in
    favour of biogenesis and as yet we have no indication that it can be
    performed. There are many schemes by which biogenesis could have
    occurred but these are still suggestive schemes and nothing more. They
    may indicate experiments that can be performed, but they tell us
    nothing about what actually happened some 1,000 million years ago. It
    is therefore a matter of faith on the part of the biologist that biogenesis
    did occur and he can choose whatever method of biogenesis happens
    to suit him personally; the evidence for what did happen is not
    available." (Kerkut G.A., "Implications of Evolution," in Kerkut G.A., ed.
    "International Series of Monographs on Pure and Applied Biology,
    Division: Zoology," Volume 4, Pergamon Press: New York NY, 1960,
    p.150)