Re: Celera ready for genome announcement

From: Susan Brassfield (susanb@telepath.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 20:20:54 EDT

    At 06:00 AM 06/07/2000 +0800, you wrote:
    >Reflectorites
    >
    >Here are excerpts from BBC, Electronic Telegraph and CNN from 18 May-6 June
    >2000, with my comments in square brackets.
    >
    >Steve

    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_778000/778413.stm BBC
    >... 5 June, 2000 ... Celera finished
    >mapping Drosophila melanogaster in March and believe as many as 60% of
    >the fly's genes will be found in human beings. This science, comparative
    >genomics, is expected to open many new areas of research into the way
    >genes work and the role they play in disease." [It is interesting that the
    >closer they get to sequencing the human genome, the more cautious are the
    >assessments of its immediate usefulness!]

    It is also extremely interesting that you ignored the main point of this
    article which is that Drosophila and humans share a majority of their "design."

    >http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000113078204876&rtmo=LlLGdNLd&atmo=ttttllSd
    >&pg=/et/00/5/31/nsec31.html
    >Electronic Telegraph ... 31 May 2000. Poll boost for Section 28 ... ... Mr
    >Souter said he would drop his campaign if the importance of marriage were
    >stressed in teaching and said the "moderate" demands had already been
    >conceded by Westminster. He said: "Holyrood is now looking isolated and
    >extreme." [Probably off-topic, but it does shows that adherence to
    >traditional `Christian' morality is not yet dead among ordinary people, who
    >may not have had the `value' of a materialist university education, even
    >if it
    >may be dead among most politicians and bureaucrats who have!]

    Definitely off topic, not that you've ever been bothered by that. You
    snipped this bit:

    "However, George McGregor, of the pro-repeal campaign, said: 'Brian Souter
    spent millions on this ballot. We are delighted that the people of Scotland
    have rejected such a shameful chequebook democracy and that 72 per cent of
    Scots have snubbed Souter.'"

    and thanks for this peek into macromutations:

    >"We conclude-unexpectedly-that there is little evidence for the neo-
    >Darwinian view: its theoretical foundations and the experimental evidence
    >supporting it are weak, and there is no doubt that mutations of large effect
    >are sometimes important in adaptation." (Orr H.A., & Coyne J.A., "The
    >Genetics of Adaptation: A Reassessment," The American Naturalist, Vol.
    >140, No. 5, November 1992, p.726)

    Susan