Life

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 12:41:22 EDT

    Free will, consciousness, intelligence, purpose, creativity, spontaneity and
    choice are all characteristics of life. So far no one has been able to
    define or describe them naturalistically. If science insists upon limiting
    itself to those things that can be described naturalistically, science should
    limit its attempted explanations to dead systems. With microscopes and
    technology we are able to observe life. We cam detect tiny details of the
    design and deduce their limited purposes. We can manipulate pieces of the
    design.

     We can't even observe evolution. We can only guess what happened and when.
    Those scientists who deny free will, consciousness, intelligence, purpose,
    creativity, spontaneity and choice as a part of the process, merely because
    science is unable to explain such qualities naturalistically, are entitled to
    make their guesses about evolution. Those scientists who acknowledge free
    will, consciousness, intelligence, purpose, creativity, spontaneity and
    choice as characteristics of life may or may not achieve a better
    understanding of the process. If science wants to limit itself to phenomena
    that can be explained naturalistically, it should not try to explain life.

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan