ID

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 11:32:41 EDT

    Cliff
    >t's an example of convergent evolution, different organisms with
    >different genes having analogous phenotypes; a familiar concept.
    >As to putting together organic parts, the symbiotic theory of the origin
    >of cellular complexity seems to fill the bill.

    >Consider the complexities of our economy; consider the various ways
    >we spend money and the complex reasons for the choices we make,
    >where the money goes next and why etc etc. It's an unfathomably elaborate
    >thing. Then compare the economy a communist planner might set up,
    >with simple specification of required production and directed consumption.
    >Why is a designer required on grounds of complexity, when the natural order
    >can generate complexity ad infinitum?

    --Hi Cliff,
    I like your analogy about an economy. It isn't planned. (In fact, we've
    discovered that "planned" economies don't work.) However economies are
    created by intelligence. Nothing is random. Each and every event was the
    result of an intelligent decision. Even a stupid decision is the result of
    intelligence. Each economic event was performed for a specific purpose.
    Each event was contingent upon all the events that have occurred before it
    and are occurring around it. Good decisions and bad decisions-added all
    together, they function as a whole.

      My version of ID is that life is designed by the intelligence contained
    within life itself. To understand life we have to move beyond the simplistic
    model envisioned by most materialists and include the ingredient that
    distinguishes life from non-life -- choice. Intelligence of a sort is
    included in every molecule of living matter. Intelligence and choice are
    difficult to distinguish. Certainly choice couldn't exist in the absence of
    intelligence.

        I probably disagree with ID as most people conceive it, but I am not a
    materialist. And I have developed a distaste for the arrogant intolerance of
    most people who promote materialism. People in the ID movement dare to look
    beyond materialism. In any case, the evidence that the whole system was
    designed seems overwhelming to me. I am underwhelmed by the evidence for
    "random mutation and natural selection", but I grant everyone the right to
    their own under or overwhelming. I suspect symbiosis goes beyond the origin
    of cellular complexity. Like an economy, whatever concept of life emerges
    will be symbiotic, the sum of all the diverse, individual thought s about the
    subject.

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan