Re: Miscellaneous

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 15:10:32 EDT

    >Bill:
    > > In the bad old days, stating "Boyle's Law"
    >>was equivalent to stating "A Godly relationship in the physical universe
    >>discovered by Boyle." It is important to note that "quantum mechanics" is
    >>not called "quantum laws." Scientists are no longer out to discover God's
    >>secret laws but to determine physical relationships.
    >
    >>It sounds classier to refer to "Boyle's Law" than to Boyle's Best Guess"
    >>but the phrases are equivalent. Nobel Prizes are won by upsetting
    >>someone's previous best guess, not by overturning God's Law.

    Bertvan:
    >If we were allowed to call "random mutation and natural selection as an
    >explanation of macro evolution" "Darwinin's Best Guess" instead of
    >"scientific fact" the controversy might disappear. Do you think the ACLU
    >would be agreeable?

    I'd like to think you're kidding, but I figure you're probably not. The
    ACLU couldn't possibly care less. They defend the constitution, not
    scientific theories. Whenever ID comes before a judge it is ruled to be a
    feature of the Christian religion and not science. ID and creationism are a
    sorry attempt to use public funds to indoctrinate children in Christian
    dogma. The ACLU (and I) *do* care about that. You should too. "Evolution is
    a religion" doesn't fly.

    Susan

    For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
    of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
    this one.
    --Albert Camus

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/