Re: How is this for an Anti-Evolutionist's use of quotes?

From: Allen & Diane Roy (Dianeroy@peoplepc.com)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 02:27:28 EDT

    I did confuse ratio and slope in my previous statement. The ratio between the isotopes is assumed to be the same (homogenous) throughout the mix and when plotted makes a slope of 0. In the case of Rb/Sr, the claimed homogenous isotopes would be the 87Sr/86Sr ratio.

    From the source mentioned below:
    "Since D and Di are isotopes of the same element, they have identical chemical properties*. Minerals may include varying quantities of that element, but all will inherit the same D/Di ratio as the source material. This results in an identical Y-value for the data points representing each mineral (matching the Y-value of the source material)."

    This is saying that the ratio of D/Di is homogenous throughout the magma.

    The idea of isotopic homogeneity is mentioned later in the article.
    "Consider some molten rock in which isotopes and elements are distributed in a reasonably homogeneous manner." and "They did not separate at about the same time from an isotopically homogeneous pool of matter. "

    No where in this article is it established that magma is isotopically homogenous. No references are offered that show that this true. The closest we get is "Consider some molten rock in which isotopes ... are distributed in a ... homogenous manner." We are to suppose that magma is homogenous. Where are the facts that show this is true?

    It still stands that no one was there to measure the original ratio of isotopes, it must be assumed that they were homogenous.

    The rest of the article is of little value, unless it can be shown that magma is isotopically homogenous. You would think that this vital point would deserve at least a quote or reference. As I said before, there is more and more evidence that magma is not homogenous. And I talking of more variation than isotope fractionation can claim.

    Considering the source of this article. I have learned when dealing with Talk.Origins you need to adopt an attitude a lot like the lying salesman joke. You know, "How do you know when a salesman is lying?" Answer: "His lips are moving." How do you know when you cannot trust Talk.Origins? When you read it in their web pages.

    Allen