Re: Intelligent Design

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 12:43:53 EDT

    Bertvan:

    > In any case, while neither philosophy might be provable, one description of
    >reality is more accurate than the other. Perhaps we will only be able to
    >determine the relative merits of materialism and ID by the results which they
    >produce.

    Immaterialism and supernaturalism had their shot at explaining reality for
    thousands of years. Science wasn't even invented until those ideas were
    discarded.

    >Materialism gave us Freud, Marx, Darwinism and E.O. Wilson. I
    >wonder what ID will produce?

    What it produced before the Enlighenment of the early 19th century.
    Alchemy, phrenology, astrology, etc. Neither you nor Stephen have answered
    my question about what immaterialist-supernaturalist science would look
    like. For example: what if you wanted to find out what lightening is and
    what causes it. How would you use the idea of "design" or "immaterialism"
    to investigate the phenomenon?

    Or does ID *only* apply to the issue the Creationists care about?

    Susan

    For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
    of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
    this one.
    --Albert Camus

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/