Re: Novel paradigms?

From: Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 16:53:23 EDT

    At 01:33 PM 04/21/2000 -0400, Howard J. Van Till wrote:
    >Steve Clark commented:
    >
    > > ID says nothing about the mechanism by which life arose and
    > > diversified. It only addresses whether this process was intentional or
    > > not.
    >
    >On this particular point I must respectfully disagree. Although proponents
    >of ID have been careful never to provide a candid definition of just what it
    >means "to be (or have been) intelligently designed" the vast majority of
    >their argumentation appears directed toward the conclusion that "some bio-X
    >could not
    >have come to be formed by any known natural means, therefore it must have
    >been intelligently designed."
    >
    >"Intelligently designed" is almost always set up as a category in contrast
    >to "actualized by natural processes." It's _either_ ID _or_ NP.
    >
    >The heart of the ID claim is that "natural processes" are unable to
    >accomplish the assembly of the first living system or the first assembly of
    >certain particular biotic subsystems. Some supplementary action, I call it
    >"extra-natural assembly," must have been performed by an intervening agent.
    >For whatever reason, the universe is presumed to lack key formational
    >capabilities. The resulting gap in this menu of formational capabilities
    >must, it is claimed, be bridged by the intervening action of some
    >extra-natural agent.
    >
    >You would be correct to note that ID offers no _specific_ mechanism (other
    >than "some intelligent agent must have done it"), but it does make the
    >strong claim that "there are no natural processes capable of doing it."
    >Thus, as I see it, ID does assert something quite substantial about "the
    >mechanism by which life arose and diversified."
    >
    >Howard Van Till

    Your point is well taken, Howard, and I agree with your representation of
    the claims made by IDrs. In my opinion, however, the IDrs' conclusion that
    life could only arise through a nonnatural mechanism is not fully supported
    by the evidence they invoke in support of the idea of ID. The evidence,
    along the lines of Paley's observation, really says nothing about the
    mechanism of fabrication, only that an intelligent agent was
    involved. Thus, they indirectly come to the conclusion that nonnatural
    forces are responsible for life. As you point out above, their program
    provides no direct evidence for this conclusion. Thus, I believe that they
    are reaching a conclusion that is not warranted given the data. Since
    evidence for the appearance of design, I believe says nothing about the
    mechanism of fabrication, I make the claim that you quoted above. I
    believe that this is the proper intellectual position of ID, and that
    conclusions regarding mechanisms by which life was fabricated are not
    adequately supported.

    Regards,

    Steve

    Steven S. Clark, Ph.D.
    Associate Professor of Human Oncology and
    Member, UW Comprehensive Cancer Center
    University of Wisconsin School of Medicine
    600 Highland Ave, K4/432
    Madison, WI 53792

    Office: (608) 263-9137
    FAX: (608) 263-4226