Re: Novel paradigms?

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 09:06:22 EDT

    I wrote:

    >>Although proponents of ID have been careful never to provide a candid
    >>definition of just what it means "to be (or have been) intelligently
    > designed"
    >>the vast majority of their argumentation appears directed toward the
    >>conclusion that "some bio-X could not have come to be formed by any
    >>known natural means, therefore it must have been intelligently designed."

    Mike replied:

    > I should clarify that this is not how I use ID.

    OK, no problem. Then what is _your_ operative answer to the question, What
    does it mean to be (or have been) intelligently designed? [What kind of
    action by what kind of agent?] If I recall correctly from your previous
    posts, you often use the expression "intelligent intervention" in place if
    "intelligent design." I happen to think that your term is a more accurate
    label for what Mike Behe, Bill Dembski, et al are promoting.

    > Since I am talking
    > history and not philosophy, it's not a question of what is possible or
    > not, it's a question of what happened.

    We're all interested in that. It's a matter of how we approach a topic for
    which the number of interesting questions far exceeds the number of firm
    answers.

    > If Howard wants to deduce
    > the happening of abiogenesis with theology and philosophy, that's
    > fine with me.

    Thanks for the encouragement.

    > But if Howard wants to convince me that abiogenesis
    > actually happened in accord with his belief system, he'll need some
    > old fashioned evidence that points beyond the inherently weak claim
    > of "it's possible."

    OK, that's your prerogative. In the meantime, biologists and biochemists are
    daily adding to our knowledge of the formational capabilities of biotic
    systems in the universe. My suspicion is that the full list of these
    capabilities will be found to have no gaps that would have required
    "intelligent interventions" to bring us to the present state of affairs.

    I freely admit that this expectation proceeds from my belief that the
    formational economy of the universe was conceptualized by a Creator for the
    accomplishment of a comprehensive purpose, and that the robustness of this
    menu of formational capabilities is a manifestation of the Creator's
    creativity and generosity. It is also encouraged by the growth of scientific
    knowledge of the formational capabilities that contribute to this "robust
    formational economy."

    I find it far more fitting (for me, at least) to celebrate the robustness of
    the Creation's formational economy than to be engaged in a search for
    empirical evidence of formational capabilities that may have been withheld
    from it.

    You are welcomed to adopt a different perspective and to articulate it
    candidly.

    Cordially,

    Howard