In one of those multiple universes...

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 16:08:38 EDT

    Somewhere, in another parallel Universe‰¥Ï.

    Biology departments everywhere adopt a literal teleological
    perspective (instead of our universe's metaphorical use)
    where origin events (but not regularities) are interpreted
    teleologically. It generates pretty much the same level of
    science, perhaps more since they anticipated the existence of
    biological codes and molecular machines before we did.

    Yet a small group of scientists and philosophers dispute
    the teleological interpretations. They note those interpretations
    are heavily dependent on the metaphysics and game rules of their
    science and claim history is too ambiguous to rule out a
    non-teleological origin. They seek to explore such a radical
    thought. Two members of this movement successfully set up
    the "Darwin Institute" at a small materialistic college. Although
    the college is committed to materialism, its departments adhere
    to the teleological approach out of concern for their reputation
    among other colleges and universities. So, when they
    catch wind of the Darwin Institute, they label it as "stealth
    eugenics" and seek to shut it down. After all, they argue,
    it is good to discriminate against any eugenics movement that
    would deny the important assumption of teleology. "If you
    don't stop them," argues professor Smith, "soon we'll have
    to teach our students that rape has been hard-wired into
    our brains as part of their proposed mechanisms."

    In this universe, my counterpart is equally concerned about
    this attack on academic freedom. And strangely enough,
    the counterparts of the rest of you on this board are also
    as concerned and disapproving of these attempts. At least
    in *that* parallel universe they are. ;)

    Mike